Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#958475 - 05/13/08 07:11 PM Subpoenas
jfuma Offline
New Poster
Missouri
We received a grand jury subpoenas and it is huge. Our processor is charging us 2.50 per page and we are already at 500 pages for the 1st account of which there are a total of 10 account. Can I pass the charge to the County requesting the subpoena?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#958517 - 05/13/08 07:53 PM Re: Subpoenas jfuma
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
Yes you can. As a matter of fact you may want to give them a call and give them a heads up on the fees involved. Unfortunately on a lot of subpoenas they have a maximum charge for services, and you have to stick to their charges no matter what your charges are. Normally they send a fee voucher for you to complete for your time and copies.

Return to Top
#958792 - 05/14/08 02:00 PM Re: Subpoenas blvsinangels
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If this is a local (state court) subpoena, state law and court rules will affect your ability to recover costs in producing the records. You might consider contacting the court or attorney that issued the subpoena to find out if you can negotiate the scope of the subpoena. For example, you might be able to produce statement copies first, and have the attorney indicate which items from the statement are needed. If the attorney knows that you're planning to submit a bill for costs, there will be an incentive to cut back on what you have to produce.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#959379 - 05/15/08 11:46 AM Re: Subpoenas John Burnett
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
$2.50 per page? That seems a bit over the top. They are your records, so why wouldn't you be able to pull them yourself?

Can you not, as a matter of customer service, pull copies of statements, view them and print them for a customer? Or pull copies of checks, view them and print them for a customer?

My first thought is that you need a new processor if you are "stuck" in this kind of situation.

Along with what John said, I've had great success contacting the requesting party and explaining that I have a TON of information to give them (500 pages on one account seems excessive) and ask if I can narrow that down a bit. Generally, they have about 2 accounts that they are looking for and only a few months in each. Of course, each case is different.

Good luck.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett