Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1449462 - 09/29/10 12:13 PM Money Orders
Diana Timberlake Offline
100 Club
Diana Timberlake
Previously our bank sold "Personal" money orders. We switched to a new core provider and our money orders are now "Bank" money orders. I know that a Bank Money Order is basically a "cashiers check" so to speak. I assume the rules for Lost and Stolen cashiers checks applies to bank money orders as well. I am interested in knowing if other banks sell Bank MO or Personal MO. If personal, are you using a 3rd party?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1449471 - 09/29/10 12:40 PM Re: Money Orders Diana Timberlake
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Yes, if those money orders are signed by bank personnel (or with a facsimile signature on behalf of the bank) they are legally cashier's checks and get treated as such.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1479886 - 12/13/10 08:39 PM Re: Money Orders John Burnett
Tristan's Mom Offline
Tristan's Mom
Corn 'n Bean Land
Our money orders are like cashier's checks, signed by bank personnel and drawn on us. There has been resistance to changing the name to Cashier's Check, as it would be confusing to the customers.

Well, it seems the printers got confused... We have a huge supply of Money Orders labeled "Bank Money Order" at the top which is fine, but under the line where the bank personnel sign, there is a label "Signature of Remitter" instead of "Authorized Signature."

What risks does this present? As the item is actually an obligation of the bank itself, the payee is in a better position than if they were actually receiving a personal money order. But in the world of UDAP we find ourselves today, I welcome any feedback.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett