Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2131131 - 05/19/17 03:26 PM Expense Check
vidaxi Offline
If a stop payment needs to be placed on a bank account check (expense account not a cashiers check account) would the 90 day wait time frame still apply for these types of checks if they are not considered certified cashiers checks?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2131153 - 05/19/17 04:08 PM Re: Expense Check vidaxi
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Look at your state's UCC definition of a cashiers check and see if your "expense check" meets that definition. Don't assume that because the blue one says "Cashiers Check" and the green on says "Expense Check" that it makes any difference. If the item meets the definition of a cashiers check then you treat it accordingly.

"Certified" and "Cashiers" checks are two different things.

Return to Top
#2131316 - 05/22/17 04:00 PM Re: Expense Check vidaxi
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Don't confuse the UCC definition (which is the one that applies to your question) with the definition in Regulation CC.

Here's the definition of cashier's check in the Oklahoma UCC, section 3-104(g): "Cashier's check" means a draft with respect to which the drawer and drawee are the same bank or branches of the same bank.

And here's the Regulation CC definition, from §229.2(i):
(i) Cashier's check means a check that is--

(1) Drawn on a bank;

(2) Signed by an officer or employee of the bank on behalf of the bank as drawer;

(3) A direct obligation of the bank; and

(4) Provided to a customer of the bank or acquired from the bank for remittance purposes.

The 4th element of the Reg CC definition would exclude an expense check, so that it would not be a next-day item under 229.10(c)(1)(v). But the UCC definition doesn't include that splitting of hairs, so the expense check would be considered a cashier's check for the purposes of the UCC, such as the §3-312 procedure for claims relating to lost, stolen or destroyed cashier's, teller's and certified checks.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett