BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2207064 - 02/25/19 10:53 PM W-8BEN - Permanent Address and Business Owners
KerryVBC Offline
100 Club
KerryVBC
Colorado
I have a 2-part question about the requirement and completion of a W-8BEN.

1. In the section where it asks for the "permanent address", the instructions state "if you do not have a tax residence in any country, your permanent residence is where you normally reside"; does that mean that line 3 of the W-8 could be a USA address?

2. If we have a US business with a valid EIN and the owners/signers/beneficial owners are non-resident aliens, our signature card has a W-9 to certify the business EIN. Do we need the signers to sign W-8BENs? They do not have any personal accounts that would have IRS tax reporting. Is there a specific regulation or IRS document that proves this one way or another?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2207066 - 02/25/19 11:07 PM Re: W-8BEN - Permanent Address and Business Owners KerryVBC
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
1. No - if they normally reside in the US - then they are a US person and would complete a W-9
2. They are not accountholders - why would you need a W-8BEN from them? You aren't going to be making any payments to them.

Return to Top
#2207069 - 02/25/19 11:09 PM Re: W-8BEN - Permanent Address and Business Owners KerryVBC
KerryVBC Offline
100 Club
KerryVBC
Colorado
Thanks rlcarey. Those were my thoughts as well. Now if I can just get the powers-that-be to believe me. smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett