Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2226636 - 12/03/19 07:35 PM ACH Greenbook Rules on Rep Payee Accounts
heatherdem Offline
New Poster
Deposit operations and service are going back and forth on interpreting the ACH Greenbook rules on what to do when receiving a social security direct deposit after receiving a DNE. In ops, we want to return the deposit R15; service wants to let the rep payee handle the item. I thought we were interpreting the Greenbook correctly until I listened to a webinar from The Clearing House on federal govt payments. It seems that letting the rep payee handle returning deposits would be correct, but we have received reclamations though, so it didn't make sense to me. The call said the rep payee would receive any reclamations and be responsible for returning. What are other institutions doing?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2226658 - 12/03/19 10:00 PM Re: ACH Greenbook Rules on Rep Payee Accounts heatherdem
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Treasury follows the Green Book (they wrote it) and I'd be guided by the Green Book if I were you. Once you have received a DNE, you are required under Treasury regulations (and the Green Book) to return any and all federal recurring benefit payments received via ACH after you've learned of the death. You aren't required to return direct deposits of such funds received before you received that notice (or some other documentation of the death).

It's complicated, but follow the Green Book.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett