BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#23160 - 07/09/02 10:06 PM Website Compliance
Anonymous
Unregistered

In reviewing the Website Checklist on BankersOnline.com
there is a question:
Is there a disclosure on the use of the Bank's website? (May be listed as legal notice)
Does anybody know what kind of legal notice should be on
the website....maybe give me an example to go by ?
Thanks
Pat

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#23161 - 07/10/02 02:59 AM Re: Website Compliance
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You may be referring to a copyright notice © or something like at the end of a football game, "no person may use any facsimile of this site, our logo or content without our express written consent".
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#23162 - 07/10/02 12:58 PM Re: Website Compliance
DebNP Offline
100 Club
DebNP
Eastern PA and NJ
Pat,
To add to Andy's comments: Copyright and warranties are a big part of it. There are two ways that sites can form contracts with others, by "clickwrap" - the "I accept" button, otherwise you don't get in. And secondly by "browsewrap", which for many sites is a little button at the bottom (usually on the home page) called a "Terms of Use Agreement", or a "Legal Disclosure", "Terms and Conditions" (whatever you want to call it) which along with the copyright and warranty stuff gives the rules for using your site. You might see things like authorized use, e-mail use, governing jurisdiction, etc. Ideally, this spells out how you want your site to work. Is this a necessary part of every site? No, but if you have such a contract on your site it should not be in conflict with other portions of your site. Also, while "clickwrap" is almost certainly a binding contract, the "browsewrap" is seen by some as not as a clear cut binding contract. But, if your're properly guided by your tech lawyer, you should be able to post a valid and enforceable agreement on your site, if you want. Hope this helps.

Return to Top
#23163 - 07/10/02 02:31 PM Re: Website Compliance
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
To further on Debra's excellent points, the agreement may also include something to the tune of, "should be viewed with Internet Explorer 5 or higher, Netscape Navigator 5 or higher, you should have Active X controls turned on and not use any method to suppress pop-up windows...".

Basically, any special nuances you have built into your sites construction for viewing should have that requirement spelled out. The best example would be if you make disclosures with pop-ups, can the method you use be suppressed? If it can, tell the user not to do so. Pop-Up Killer and other similar programs could cause you problems later.

Obviously you have to balance the method of construction to your users capabilities. Some folks won't want to see pop-up or use Active X. But that's another topic.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#23164 - 07/10/02 03:43 PM Re: Website Compliance
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Taking Andy's points further, the user may get incomplete or erroneous information if the site requires the use of Java or any other element that can be suppressed by firewalls or anything else between your server and the eyes and ears of each surfer.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett