Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2282808 - 03/29/23 09:08 PM Signature requirement on Certificate of Deposit
Cracked Egg Offline
Kentucky
I have a disagreement between operations and the front line. I'm trying to get information to settle things.
When opening a Certificate of Deposit that has more than one owner, is there a regulatory requirement to have all owners sign the signature card?
We currently only have the primary owner sign.
Part 300.9(c)(2) says signature cards are not required on CD's to be covered by FDIC Insurance. I find nothing else in regulation that would require the signature card. Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2282811 - 03/29/23 10:09 PM Re: Signature requirement on Certificate of Deposit Cracked Egg
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Legal question. If I want to open an account with someone else's name on my account, how do you know I have consent from that third party to open an account using their name? Maybe I am opening the account with a check payable to my wife, but I forged her endorsement because I am planning to close the CD next week to abscond with the funds and my new soon to be wife.

When my old wife files a claim against your bank, what defense do you have?

I suggest you ask bank counsel to settle your dispute.

Return to Top
#2282816 - 03/30/23 12:17 PM Re: Signature requirement on Certificate of Deposit Cracked Egg
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I agree with Brian. You may also want to check your account agreement. Our agreement states:

Only those of you who sign the permanent signature card may withdraw funds from this account

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett