Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1498500 - 01/21/11 05:01 PM competition's mortgage originator compensation
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
one of our loan officers was approached by another institution. There deal is that they can get around the MLO compensation issue.
Here is what they do:
Bank sets a rate. Each mortgage loan officer can choose to make their loans at that rate or if they want to make more commission they can add a fixed percent to the rate. The trick is once they say add a "plus 1%" they cannont deviate and must do all their loans at that plus 1% - so if the customer says the rate is to high, the mortgage originator can't lower the offered rate down to the banks set rate. If the loan officer finds they are not making any loans then they may adopt a lower rate - e.g. a plus 1% instead of a plus 2%.

I think this is not going to fly, but i may be wrong. anyone heard of this?

Return to Top
#1498620 - 01/21/11 06:26 PM Re: competition's mortgage originator compensation Burgess
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It will not fly and smacks of being full of fair lending issues. A creditor setting rates based on what a loan officer wants to be paid is going to receive a visit from the DOJ.

Return to Top
#1499276 - 01/24/11 06:19 PM Re: competition's mortgage originator compensation rlcarey
Southern gal Offline
Platinum Poster
TN
Where can I find these rules for mortgage originator compensation?

Return to Top
#1499286 - 01/24/11 06:33 PM Re: competition's mortgage originator compensation Southern gal
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1499307 - 01/24/11 07:02 PM Re: competition's mortgage originator compensation RR Joker
Southern gal Offline
Platinum Poster
TN
thanks

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z