Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#29346 - 08/26/02 02:12 PM Minimum Credit Score
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our Sr. Lender wants to require a minimum credit score as a prerequisite to making a loan with our bank. Would anyone like to express an opinion on this practice? If your bank does require a minimun score, how was that number determined?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#29347 - 08/26/02 03:20 PM Re: Minimum Credit Score
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If you are using an empirically derived, demonstrably and statistically sound, credit scoring system, I would assume there would be a minimum. If judgemental over-rides are allowed, more fair lending review may be in order.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#29348 - 09/09/02 03:15 PM Re: Minimum Credit Score
Dan the man Offline
New Poster
Dan the man
Missouri
My past experience as a mortgage broker/lender showed me that nationally with 300 different lenders including Fannie and Freddie, a score of 620 and up was considered conforming or conventional, some lender used 640 and some would go as low as 600 with good liquid assets on balance sheet. I have seen a loan approved conforming with secondary market with a 580 score! when you talk "B" paper or non-conforming or non-traditional lenders out there (subprime) most would only go to 520 as a minimum.
hope this helps as a guide

Return to Top
#29349 - 09/09/02 05:19 PM Re: Minimum Credit Score
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
First, if you use a minimum score, don't allow any exceptions without thorough documentation and a good reason. Examiners look at all the exceptions. They make easy pickings.

Second, the sub-prime lending guidance issued by the agencies last year uses 660 as the line between prime and sub-prime. This is much higher than what most institutions had been using. The answers above give good guidance on what most banks have been using as a guide. You can use numbers below 660 (and if you don't, you'll lose a lot of potential customers) but be prepared to answer the examiners questions about your sub-prime lending program.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z