Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#45120 - 11/22/02 05:08 PM Title Insurance
Anonymous
Unregistered

Title insurance is not considered a finance charge. But, if the title company is an affiliate of the bank, is it still not considered a finance charge?
Thank you for your help!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#45121 - 11/22/02 05:16 PM Re: Title Insurance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It would not be considered a finance charge, but the cost would have to be added back in for Section 32 purposes.

Return to Top
#45122 - 11/22/02 07:05 PM Re: Title Insurance
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
Seems like, you cannot require purchase of title insurance from an affiliate. Just a word of caution.

Return to Top
#45123 - 11/22/02 07:14 PM Re: Title Insurance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think that a bank can purchase title insurance (lender coverage) from whomever they want - can't they. They just couldn't require the borrower to purchase title coverage (owner's coverage) from a particular provider - or is too late in the week for me???

Return to Top
#45124 - 11/26/02 03:31 PM Re: Title Insurance
Howard Lax Offline
Gold Star
Howard Lax
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Some state require a "Chinese Wall" between lending and insurance functions. See, for example, Michigan Compiled Laws 500.1243.

Return to Top
#45125 - 11/26/02 07:00 PM Re: Title Insurance
CHT Offline
100 Club
Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
You do have to disclose the relationship between the title insurance provider and the bank to the customer for the purchase of the lenders' coverage.

I do not beleive that you can mandate the purchase of owners' coverage. However, most of the time it would not be cost effective to pay for a full title search from another party in order to get the coverage!

Return to Top
#45126 - 12/05/02 10:15 PM Re: Title Insurance
Howard Lax Offline
Gold Star
Howard Lax
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
In Michigan, some the title underwriters anticipated the split coverage in a home sale, and filed the appropriate premiums with the state to allow two agencies to split the basic fee that would be charged if one agency is providing both the owner's and mortgagee's policies.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z