Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1085300 - 11/20/08 08:12 PM Increasing the interest rate on a fixed rate loan
Sage Offline
Platinum Poster
We have agreed to release one party on an existing fixed rate home loan.The remaining customer is now going to rent the property rather than live in it.They agreed that in return for the release and due to the change in use, we are increasing the interest rate by .25. Do we have to give them a new TIL on the remaining balance and at the new rate at the time we do this?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1085422 - 11/20/08 09:55 PM Re: Increasing the interest rate on a fixed rate loan Sage
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
Have you considered refinancing the deal into a new loan? Maybe even a business purpose loan?

Return to Top
#1085432 - 11/20/08 09:59 PM Re: Increasing the interest rate on a fixed rate loan Mint Julep
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The new transaction is to modifiy or refinance a non-owner occupied rental property - it would be exempt from Regulation Z any way you slice it.

Return to Top
#1085761 - 11/21/08 03:21 PM Re: Increasing the interest rate on a fixed rate loan rlcarey
Sage Offline
Platinum Poster
The problenm is a refi at today's rates would mean a rate higher than just the .25 increase for the customer.

Return to Top
#1085789 - 11/21/08 03:46 PM Re: Increasing the interest rate on a fixed rate loan Sage
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Just be sure to do a formal modification and not just go in and change the rate, otherwise, you wouldn't have the authority under your existing agreement on a fixed-rate loan.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1085828 - 11/21/08 04:16 PM Re: Increasing the interest rate on a fixed rate loan RR Joker
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Reg Z exempts the acquisition, maintenance or rehabilitation of a non-owner occupied rental property. This loan (refinancing if done) and or modification is for neither of those purposes. The current owner/occupant has simply decided to start renting his dwelling (agreed that in return for the release and due to the change in use,) and I assume move to another one. Where is the business purpose exemption for this refinancing and/or modification?

Now with that said, modifications do not require redisclosure unless a variable rate feature is being added that has not been previously disclosed.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z