Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1664069 - 02/13/12 03:34 PM Appraiser-Customer choice?
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
I know that we are required not to "steer" customers into a specific type of loan and that we are required to give them options. Does the same thing apply for appraisals? Do we need to provide the customers with a list of appraisers and let them pick one?

Our mortgage loan processor (who has no customer contact) has always picked the appraiser at random. If we are required to give them this option, do you know which Reg or law states this? I am updating our loan policy and this is one question that I came across. Thanks!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1664078 - 02/13/12 03:45 PM Re: Appraiser-Customer choice? Sci_Comply
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Your customer can have nothing to do with who appraises a property...not at all.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1664088 - 02/13/12 04:01 PM Re: Appraiser-Customer choice? Sci_Comply
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
That's what I thought!! But, my silly loan officer said otherwise. smile

Return to Top
#1664130 - 02/13/12 04:47 PM Re: Appraiser-Customer choice? Sci_Comply
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Show your silly loan officer the following from page 6 of the Interagency Appraisal guidelines.

An institution or its agent must directly select and engage appraisers. The only exception to this requirement is that the Agencies’ appraisal regulations allow an institution to use an appraisal prepared for another financial services institution provided certain conditions are met. An institution or its agents also should directly select and engage persons who perform evaluations. Independence is compromised when a borrower recommends an appraiser or a person to perform an evaluation. Independence is also compromised when loan production staff selects a person to perform an appraisal or evaluation for a specific transaction. For certain transactions, an institution also must comply with the provisions addressing valuation independence in Regulation Z (Truth in Lending).

Return to Top
#1664161 - 02/13/12 05:28 PM Re: Appraiser-Customer choice? Sci_Comply
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Here is the link to the 2010 Guidelines. Keep it handy to show your lenders:

http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2010/fil10082a.pdf

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z