Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1799007 - 03/27/13 08:39 PM Estimated Taxes - UDAAP?
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
When a construction loan is to go to perm, how do you estimate tax payments for escrow?

For the most accurate assessment, wouldn't it be prudent to multiply the current tax rate by the appraised value of the new property?

Some of my lenders want to use 80% of the appraised value. To me, this gives the appearance of manipulating the monthly payment to enable the borrower buy "more house"....qualify for a bigger loan....which in turn makes more money for the mortgage lender.

Additionally, this might result in payment shock later, and I think might fall into the UDAAP arena. Am I over-thinking?

I would welcome any comments.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1799383 - 03/28/13 07:05 PM Re: Estimated Taxes - UDAAP? swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Return to Top
#1799386 - 03/28/13 07:10 PM Re: Estimated Taxes - UDAAP? swiggles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Are your lenders thinking 80% of appraised value is roughly equal to assessed value? I've never seen this before.
While I'm not fluent enough in UDAAP to speak to your concerns, I do agree that this is just the type of lending that started the onslaught of regulatory overseeing we have to deal with now.
You have two choices.
Either set up the escrow based on the currect tax amount and give a payment shock letter
OR
set up the escrow based on a projected tax amount. We've always used appraised value x mil rate.

Return to Top
#1799396 - 03/28/13 07:35 PM Re: Estimated Taxes - UDAAP? swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Thank you, Truff. In one market, the 80% might be justified. But in the other two markets, appraised value and tax value are fairly in line.

And since I've never dealt with this before, I'm completely ignorant. Is the "payment shock letter" part of RESPA? Is there model verbiage for it?

I very much appreciate your help.

Return to Top
#1799407 - 03/28/13 07:47 PM Re: Estimated Taxes - UDAAP? swiggles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Isn't the first year the house is finished still taxed at the unimproved rate? If so, wouldn't you be over collecting to start out at final appraisal x mil?

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1799431 - 03/28/13 08:15 PM Re: Estimated Taxes - UDAAP? swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Hmmmm.....I don't know. I'll have to find out.

Return to Top
#1799510 - 03/29/13 01:22 AM Re: Estimated Taxes - UDAAP? swiggles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Joker, it all depends on how quickly the property is assessed. Some states may take a year or more. Others may have it done within a couple of months. If you're talking construction perm, you could need more than just the unimproved rate.

swiggles, no there's no model verbiage altho I do think Dan put something out there within the last couple years. You might try searching under his name and payment shock.

Return to Top
#1799653 - 03/29/13 03:42 PM Re: Estimated Taxes - UDAAP? swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Thanks, Truff.....there IS model verbiage in the Federal Register but it wasn't codified. Thanks for sending me that direction. I did find Dan's thread.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z