Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1989215 - 01/16/15 02:27 PM Consumer or Business Purpose
Dutch Offline
Gold Star
As you know, credit extended to acquire, improve, or maintain rental property (regardless of the number of housing units) that is non-owner occupied is deemed to be for business purposes under Regulation Z.

That said, if an applicant is getting a mortgage to purchase a house that they absolutely will not live in or use themselves in the coming year, BUT a family member will be living in it rent free (e.g. they are buying a house and are going to let their son live there rent free), would the loan be considered a consumer loan under Regulation Z since the proceeds are being used for personal, FAMILY, or household use? In other words, would the Reg. Z exemption mentioned at the beginning of my question apply to this transaction or not?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1989218 - 01/16/15 02:36 PM Re: Consumer or Business Purpose Dutch
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: Dutch
In other words, would the Reg. Z exemption mentioned at the beginning of my question apply to this transaction or not?

It would not be exempt, no.

Return to Top
#1989229 - 01/16/15 03:00 PM Re: Consumer or Business Purpose Dutch
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I agree with raitchjay - this is a consumer loan.

Return to Top
#1989232 - 01/16/15 03:12 PM Re: Consumer or Business Purpose Dutch
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Agree. The key to the answer is the fact that the exception pivots on the rental aspect of the property. Rental as in income, which suggests it's a business acquisition. In your example, though, there is no income expectation, and there's no rental aspect to the property. So the exemption isn't available.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1989265 - 01/16/15 04:03 PM Re: Consumer or Business Purpose John Burnett
Dutch Offline
Gold Star
My thoughts exactly. It's been a recent topic of discussion here, so I wanted to double check to be sure. Thank you all!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z