Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2199022 - 11/26/18 06:07 PM Collecting Rate Lock Fee Before Application
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
I'm curious how you all feel about an institution collecting a rate lock fee on a preapproval application? Since we do not have a TRID application, I do not believe we not need to worry about the intent to proceed's prohibition on charging or incurring a fee before that document is returned.

Additionally, would you feel comfortable retaining the fee in the event that the preapproval application does not convert to a TRID application and result in an originated loan?

Any/all thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2199345 - 11/29/18 01:28 PM Re: Collecting Rate Lock Fee Before Application ComplyCycle
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A rate lock fee on a preapproval? Property address or not that sounds like crossing a UDAAP line to me. Hopefully, this is a totally refundable lock fee.

Return to Top
#2199532 - 11/30/18 05:17 PM Re: Collecting Rate Lock Fee Before Application ComplyCycle
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I've never even heard of a rate lock fee. Application fee, yes but not a fee to just lock a rate. We sell all on secondary so that's not even possible here because the rate is tied to the property address as well as the borrower.

Return to Top
#2199546 - 11/30/18 06:07 PM Re: Collecting Rate Lock Fee Before Application ComplyCycle
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Years ago (late 1990's?) there were rate locks in a:

- rising rate environment, some lenders would charge a fee to lock the rate for a period of time rather than float.
- retreating rate environment to allow a change reducing the rate one time.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z