Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2237587 - 06/04/20 08:00 PM Refinance and ROR
Patricia Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
Applicant has been buying primary resident on contract and now wants to payoff the contract and obtain a loan with the bank. For TRID purposes would this be a refinance?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2237588 - 06/04/20 08:17 PM Re: Refinance and ROR Patricia
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Technically, it most likely would be Home Equity.

1026.37(a)(9)(ii) Refinance. If the credit is not for the purpose described in paragraph (a)(9)(i) of this section, and if the credit will be used to refinance an existing obligation, as defined in § 1026.20(a) (but without regard to whether the creditor is the original creditor or a holder or servicer of the original obligation), that is secured by the property identified in paragraph (a)(6) of this section, the creditor shall disclose that the loan is for a “Refinance.”

1026.20(a) Refinancings. A refinancing occurs when an existing obligation that was subject to this subpart is satisfied and replaced by a new obligation undertaken by the same consumer.

Most land sales contract are not subject to Subpart C of Regulation Z.

Return to Top
#2237589 - 06/04/20 08:19 PM Re: Refinance and ROR Patricia
Patricia Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
Thank you.

Return to Top
#2237601 - 06/04/20 09:04 PM Re: Refinance and ROR Patricia
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Since ROR is in the title you will want to look at the following in 1026.2.

5. Acquisition. i. A residential mortgage transaction finances the acquisition of a consumer's principal dwelling. The term does not include a transaction involving a consumer's principal dwelling if the consumer had previously purchased and acquired some interest to the dwelling, even though the consumer had not acquired full legal title.

ii. Examples of new transactions involving a previously acquired dwelling include the financing of a balloon payment due under a land sale contract and an extension of credit made to a joint owner of property to buy out the other joint owner's interest. In these instances, disclosures are not required under §1026.18(q) (assumability policies). However, the rescission rules of §§1026.15 and 1026.23 do apply to these new transactions.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z