Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2266902 - 02/25/22 06:47 PM Loan Estimate without Application Cover Letter
Processor21 Offline
New Poster
Trying to create a cover letter for a Loan Estimate without an application for shopping around purposes and I'm having a hard time with the wording. Would anybody be will to share their cover letter that they send out with the early disclosures. It would be a big help to see what other bankers are using and might help me come up with some ideas.

Thank you in advance!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2266905 - 02/25/22 07:22 PM Re: Loan Estimate without Application Cover Letter Processor21
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
a cover letter for a Loan Estimate without an application

Care to explain what you mean?

Return to Top
#2266907 - 02/25/22 07:39 PM Re: Loan Estimate without Application Cover Letter rlcarey
Processor21 Offline
New Poster

Return to Top
#2266908 - 02/25/22 07:45 PM Re: Loan Estimate without Application Cover Letter Processor21
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I think Randy is making two points:
1) If you have the six pieces of information included in the link you provided, you have a completed application for TRID purposes, so your question phrasing of "without an application" doesn't make sense; and
2) Why do you need a cover letter at all (but even if you do, it could be as simple as "Here's the Loan Estimate you requested".

Return to Top
#2266910 - 02/25/22 07:52 PM Re: Loan Estimate without Application Cover Letter Processor21
Processor21 Offline
New Poster
If a borrower does not want to submit an application and they just want a Loan Estimate, they can do that. For the purpose of shopping around. So even though they gave you all 6 pieces, doesn't mean you have to hit submit.

I work in a processing department. Our Bankers do not produce early disclosure, we do and we mail/electronic deliver them.

Return to Top
#2266911 - 02/25/22 07:52 PM Re: Loan Estimate without Application Cover Letter Processor21
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If a customer gives me the information as outlined on the CFPB site, then you just provide them a standard early disclosure package,as I would say you have an application for most required disclosures.

Return to Top
#2266949 - 02/28/22 02:25 PM Re: Loan Estimate without Application Cover Letter Processor21
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
So even though they gave you all 6 pieces, doesn't mean you have to hit submit.

I agree with Randy. Once the bank receives all 6 pieces of information you have an application. And by your above statement it's fairly clear the bank has all 6 pieces of information therefore the LE requirement is triggered.

I think you overlooked an important sentence in your CFPB reference:

Request a Loan Estimate
Contact the lenders you are considering and tell them you are ready to request a Loan Estimate. You don’t need to provide written documentation yet (though it’s always a good idea to share what you have). You just need to provide six key pieces of information to begin your loan application:

You don’t need to provide written documentation yet - this statement is referring to them not having to provide any verification documents.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z