Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#29503 - 08/26/02 07:26 PM COMPLIANCE
Anonymous
Unregistered

I AM NEW TO THE COMPLIANCE FIELD AND JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS READING MATERIAL THAT ANYONE COULD RECOMMEND?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#29504 - 08/26/02 07:32 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Go to www.kirchman.com, and look up the Big Orange Book under the regulatory compliance section. It covers a lot of territory, and (despite its size), is pretty user-friendly.

Return to Top
#29505 - 08/26/02 08:05 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
Absolutely go to the Kirchman web site. Their Big Orange Book (BOB) is written in plain language. They have a great sense of humor too!

Return to Top
#29506 - 08/26/02 08:08 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I would also recommend a reading of the regulations and commentaries. That is how you know what is there and how to find it when you need it.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#29507 - 08/26/02 09:07 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
Anonymous
Unregistered

Both the FDIC's and the Federal Reserve's Website have links to the regulations. They have been helpful to me.
www.fdic.gov
www.federalreserve.gov/Regulations/

Return to Top
#29508 - 08/27/02 01:21 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
Suwannee Offline
Platinum Poster
Suwannee
Florida
I agree with reading the regulation. While the Kirchman site has things in plain language, I find that most often I need to find it in the actual regulation to back myself up. When I can quote the section and paragraph of the reg, people know that I am right in what I tell them. If you read Kirchman first, it might help you to understand the regulation a little better.

Return to Top
#29509 - 08/27/02 01:35 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
My library material consists primarily of the:
Regulations,
Regulatory memo's,
Bankers Online access, and
CCH CD (regulations on CD).

Return to Top
#29510 - 08/27/02 02:10 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
mmason Offline
Gold Star
New England
Welcome back David, we missed you.

Return to Top
#29511 - 08/27/02 05:43 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
jmd Offline
100 Club
On-line training tools are helpful. The FDIC Compliance Examination Manual is also a great resource. Also, the FDIC web site, Bankers Online, and Compliance Headquarters.

Return to Top
#29512 - 08/27/02 06:14 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
DebNP Offline
100 Club
DebNP
Eastern PA and NJ
All the references mentioned are great. Also check out Lucy Griffen's publication "Compliance Action". You may want to register for ABA Compliance School, and subscribe to the "ABA Compliance Magazine". The school is one of the best around and you will make some great compliance friends. I believe you can register for both at aba's website, www.aba.com. This should give you a good base from which to work.

Return to Top
#29513 - 08/28/02 03:59 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Anon, I am pretty much in the same boat you are. Over the past year, I have definately found Kirchman to be a big help, however, I have found that you also need to be able to find what you need in the regulations and commentary. It goes without saying that Banker's Online is a great resource, especially this forum. The people in this forum are knowledgeable and like to have fun (for proof, read the recent Friday Frivolity post in General Discussion. Close your door unless you want people to think that you've gone nuts )! Another suggestion to you is to see if your state (or community) has an association of some sort for compliance officers. I have found the one in my state to be helpful, plus you get to build a network of compliance people in your state (helpful for state specific compliance issues).

Return to Top
#29514 - 08/28/02 09:59 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
tdrago wrote:
"Close your door unless you want people to think that you've gone nuts."

You have a door?.....an office with a door?....cool!!!

Return to Top
#29515 - 08/29/02 03:28 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
May I tell a cubicle story? It's Dilbert stuff! (At former employer, of course) a supervisor was promoted to manager of a group of staff occupying a spine of cubicles. At the end of the spine was an empty office with door. He was told he could not move into the office because "managers" were not high enough on the totem pole to have a private office, they could only have a cubicle. The solution? Along came maintenance who removed the office door and proceeded to assemble an entire cubicle for him that completely filled the INSIDE of the formerly doored office!

Return to Top
#29516 - 08/29/02 03:42 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Well, now.....that's an idea.

Actually, my partner and I DO have an office...together....in the basement.....and are very happy with it...though, a window would be nice. I tried to requisition one of those "sun tunnels" to let in natural sunlight, but the loan department (on the first floor, directly overhead) and the trust department (on the second floor) objected to the foil tube that would be installed from floor to ceiling in the middle of their departments. Oh well....can't have it all, I guess. Instead, the bank bought us nice photographic artwork (mountains--waterfalls) and I purchase (with my own money!!!), one of those desk lamps that "supposedly" emits light similar to sunlight . That'll have to do.

Return to Top
#29517 - 08/29/02 04:50 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
OK, Shirley. You and Vickey can circle around the monitor and enjoy a beautiful live picture of Yosemite. If you look really close, you'll see a guy waiving to you on that mountain in the back.

It beats a picture on the wall.

(Too bad, the Lubbock cam seemed to be down so I couldn't refer you to local flavor.)
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#29518 - 08/29/02 04:53 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
At least the Lubbock cam would be showing damp dirt instead of just dry blowing dirt today! We did get a little shower last night.

Return to Top
#29519 - 08/29/02 06:43 PM Re: COMPLIANCE
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I see you Andy!! You're there waiving!! That's as cool as the time you flew over Lubbock and waived to me from the window of the airplane. Thanx.

AND.....yep...Ms. Glover...the showers were nice...in between the blinding bolts of lightening and the deafening claps of thunder. I came in this morning to discover that I was denied access to my phone voice mail and to my computer. I had visions of a pink slip appearing on my desk until I was informed that the storm had hit something or another.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z