Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#185345 - 04/29/04 06:03 PM Collections messages on answering machines
Susan Rae Offline
Susan Rae
Minnesota
Our Collections Department very often plays telephone tag with borrowers because they must only leave their name, phone number, the bank name, and a request to return the call as a message when trying to reach customers regarding their late mortgage payment. The customers become frustrated and make comments about wishing they knew why the bank was calling or just ignore the call thinking that it's another sales call. Is it legally acceptable to include a comment on the message that the call is in regard to their mortgage as the document is publically filed?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#185346 - 04/29/04 06:14 PM Re: Collections messages on answering machines
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
This is just an opinion, I'm personally sketchy on the legality of calls such as this.

However, I would feel it is a good practice to limit messages to "This is John Doe at Community Bank, could you please call me at 555.5555."

I would have a little concern about customers saying that they don't know why they're receiving a call, they most likely know that they are past due and they've probably also received the late notices in the mail. Past experience has also taught me that it is rare that someone only receive a call from a collector one time - the majority of collection calls are made to the same customers month in and month out.

Return to Top
#185347 - 04/29/04 06:49 PM Re: Collections messages on answering machines
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
Quote:

it is a good practice to limit messages to "This is John Doe at Community Bank, could you please call me at 555.5555."
Past experience has also taught me that it is rare that someone only receive a call from a collector one time - the majority of collection calls are made to the same customers month in and month out.

Agree 100% with RGS!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z