Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#465575 - 12/05/05 04:34 PM FEMA did what?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I read a memo today, that the OCC sent to me. It was from the Federal Register and coded 44 CFR 64 if anyone wants to read it. FEMA has removed my city and joining counties from the participating community list. I live in a large city. I see that supposedly the county did not comply with FEMA, but the intersting part is that they have a suspension date and a cancellation date. The rule says that they can be reinstated if they meet the requirements of FEMA between the suspension and the cancellation date? But both dates are the same. [Insert Head Scratching] Does this mean that for the communities I live in that we can never get flood insurance again?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#465576 - 12/05/05 04:48 PM Re: FEMA did what?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
My first thoughts were that because of financial trouble FEMA was getting rid of all its lower risk communities. However, Omaha Nebraska has two large rivers (very large) touching it and at least 2 other medium rivers. There was major flooding in the late 80's and mid 90's. To me this seemed like crazy talk.

Return to Top
#465577 - 12/05/05 05:04 PM Re: FEMA did what?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
www.fema.gov/pdf/nfip/f084_qanda.pdf (page 7 of the document, page 16 of the pdf document)

19. What is suspension?
Suspension of a participating community (usually after a period of probation) occurs when the community fails to solve its compliance problems or fails to adopt an adequate ordinance. The community is provided written notice of the impending suspension and granted 30 days in which to show cause why it should not be suspended. Suspension is imposed by FEMA. If suspended, the community becomes non-participating and flood insurance policies cannot be written or renewed. Policies in force at the time of suspension continue in force for the policy term.

Return to Top
#465578 - 12/05/05 05:08 PM Re: FEMA did what?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Thanks Dan, that actually answers many questions I had. I am just a little confused as to why they are not giving our county the 30 days. Unless they mean that the cancellation date begins the 30 day period and I am just misreading it.

Thanks

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z