Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#475986 - 12/29/05 02:00 PM D/B/A - Adverse Action - Consumer or Commercial?
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
I have searched the lending thread and the infovault and can't seem to find anything specifically on point...is an applicant who applies as "Joe Smith, d/b/a Joe's Grocery" considered to be a consumer entity or a commercial entity for adverse action purposes?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#475987 - 12/29/05 02:25 PM Re: D/B/A - Adverse Action - Consumer or Commercial?
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Look to the definitions of "business credit" and "consumer credit" in Reg. B.

Return to Top
#475988 - 12/29/05 02:32 PM Re: D/B/A - Adverse Action - Consumer or Commercial?
Texas Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
A d/b/a would fall under consumer credit. Another point along the same lines, at my bank, our loan officers want to file UCC's with the d/b/a Joe's Grocery, which I don't think is necessary. I say to just file under their indivdual name, i.e. Joe Blow. After all, there is no seperation of assets between the individual and d/b/a.

Return to Top
#475989 - 12/29/05 02:35 PM Re: D/B/A - Adverse Action - Consumer or Commercial?
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
FWIW, I disagree with Texas boy that a d/b/a would fall under consumer credit. It could, I suppose, but it depends on the purpose of the loan.

Return to Top
#475990 - 12/29/05 02:41 PM Re: D/B/A - Adverse Action - Consumer or Commercial?
Texas Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
After thinking about it, Great Blue, you probably are correct. After all, a "doing business as" does have the word business in it. I guess I need to go back and read the Reg.

Return to Top
#475991 - 12/29/05 02:45 PM Re: D/B/A - Adverse Action - Consumer or Commercial?
Texas Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
I actually just went and asked our president and senior loan officer and they agreed that it would fall under business purpose. I am still going to read the reg to satisfy myself, but it does make sense. Thanks for pointing that out Great Blue. I am not sure why I was thinking that in the first place!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z