Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#966758 - 05/30/08 02:48 PM Modification and Extension
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
I am looking for a source for definitions of these terms. We have lenders who will "extend" the maturity on a loan out six months, but consider it a modification.

How are these terms defined in the lending world?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#967418 - 06/02/08 02:17 PM Re: Modification and Extension Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Bump. Anyone?

Return to Top
#967433 - 06/02/08 02:37 PM Re: Modification and Extension Tesla
Pickles Offline
Gold Star
Beach Bum, East Coast, USA
We extend/modify agreements all of the time. When the maturity date is "extended" we refer to it an extension... if we "change" the rate, collateral or anything else, we call it a modification.

Return to Top
#967445 - 06/02/08 02:49 PM Re: Modification and Extension Pickles
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Thanks. That's how I think about it too, but, as I said, I have some lenders who think differently so I was looking for, I guess a "Lending for Dummies Dictionary" or something that I could use to better establish my point.

Do you or anyone know of anything out there that would define these terms?

Return to Top
#967456 - 06/02/08 02:59 PM Re: Modification and Extension Tesla
Pickles Offline
Gold Star
if they give you a hard time, show them the defination of both:

Extension: Definition: The act of making something longer or the condition of being made longer. Synonyms: elongation, prolongation

Modification: Definition: The process or result of making or becoming different. Synonyms: alteration, variation

Return to Top
#967494 - 06/02/08 03:32 PM Re: Modification and Extension Pickles
Laketime Offline
Platinum Poster
Just to clarify:

I can understand that a simple rate reduction could be accomplished with a modification and a loan extension could be accomplished with an extension agreement.

We have a customer that would like to lower their interest rate AND payment. Would you use a modification in this instance as opposed to a whole new note?

Thanks for any replies.

Return to Top
#967523 - 06/02/08 04:18 PM Re: Modification and Extension Laketime
Pickles Offline
Gold Star
Yes, that is a modification and we would use a modification agreement

Return to Top
#967536 - 06/02/08 04:34 PM Re: Modification and Extension Pickles
Laketime Offline
Platinum Poster
Thank you Pickles.

Return to Top
#1009111 - 07/31/08 04:52 PM Re: Modification and Extension Pickles
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
I have a question along these same lines. When you do a modification and let's say the ARM period is what is changing... are we supposed to record the modifications? We have somebody here that is telling us that you don't have to record the modifications as long as the terms are not extended. Is that true?

Return to Top
#1009469 - 07/31/08 10:48 PM Re: Modification and Extension KTMiteComply
Glutes Offline
Platinum Poster
Glutes
Texas
Question along these same lines.

Customer can't pay this month, and requests an extension of the maturity while paying interest for the month.

Officer approves extension.

What document is needed to execute or evidence this extension?

Can this be done without any newly executed document (e.g. Extension Agreement)?

Thanks.

Return to Top
#1009488 - 07/31/08 11:44 PM Re: Modification and Extension Glutes
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is probably a question for your attorney, but I have never seen an extension done without some sort of agreement. If the loan is secured by improved property, don't forget to get a new or updated flood determination.

Return to Top
#1009508 - 08/01/08 12:23 AM Re: Modification and Extension Glutes
Ray_ Offline
Platinum Poster
Dallas, TX
If secured by real property it has to be filed of record. Otherwise, there is a BankersSystems form we use for this in ARTA Lending.

Return to Top
#1009527 - 08/01/08 01:07 AM Re: Modification and Extension Glutes
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You should check with your recording jurisdiction to see what is required or speak with your attorney. FWIW, as a matter of best practice, we record any modification to the mortgage since it is our legal agreement securing the loan.

Payment deferral requirements are governed by state law. More than likely you would need an extension agreement. Also remember extending a designated loan triggers all the flood requirements including providing the notice if located in a SFHA.

Return to Top
#1009967 - 08/01/08 03:15 PM Re: Modification and Extension Dan Persfull
Glutes Offline
Platinum Poster
Glutes
Texas
Thanks for the responses. This would be a simple non-real estate consumer loan.

We typically have an extension agreement signed by the customer in a non-real estate consumer loan situation; however, we had one officer approve an extension per the customers request to be processed and reflected on our host system that day but the customer wasn't going to be available to come in to sign the extension agreement on that day. Essentially, the extension was processed without any signed agreement. Agreement will be signed by the customer AFTER the fact. Any thoughts on this?

Return to Top
#1009978 - 08/01/08 03:18 PM Re: Modification and Extension Glutes
Ray_ Offline
Platinum Poster
Dallas, TX
Better late than never.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z