Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1085476 - 11/20/08 10:31 PM Assingments to Special Assets - Workout Department
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
At what point do you move "problem" real estate loans from loan service to a special assets or workout department? (Commercial or residential.)

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1085520 - 11/20/08 11:14 PM Re: Assingments to Special Assets - Workout Department SJB
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
That is a bank by bank decision. Sometimes they are moved when it becomes very time consuming and takes a regular loan officer away from business development.

Other times it is because a situation is not straight forward, is going to take intensive negotiation, bankruptcy or foreclosure is a real possibility, etc.

My opinion: if it looks like a simple modification will resolve the issue - leave it. Otherwise, get it to the experts so that the bank's interests are protected.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1085556 - 11/21/08 02:14 AM Re: Assingments to Special Assets - Workout Department Kathleen O. Blanchard
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Many banks have adopted the attitude that a dedicated collector will resolve a problem faster and will call a real problem, a real problem faster than the lender trying to save face. (Especially as year end bonuses are being calculated.) And as a result, they set a standard 30 or 60 day time as to when it goes to the collector or workout dept. But it is bank by bank as KB noted. There is no set requirement. It is what works for the bank.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1085799 - 11/21/08 03:58 PM Re: Assingments to Special Assets - Workout Department Andy_Z
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
There are many milestones celebrated in the growth of a bank ($500 million, $1 billion, 50 employees, 100 employees, etc.)

When a bank is big enough to have enough Troubled Assets to justify the hiring of a Special Assets Officer, that might a day recognized as a millstone (sic).

Al

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z