Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1150724 - 03/24/09 09:08 PM Flood Policies - 1 policy for multiple buildings?
Sheldon Hendrix Online
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
I'm confused. confused

The FEMA's Mandatory Purchase Guidelines state: "Only one building may be insured under one NFIP policy. Each building securing a loan must be covered by a separate policy."

The OCC's Exam Manual states: "FEMA does permit borrowers to insure buildings using one policy with a separate schedule that lists each building."

So.... which one is correct? I know the Guidelines are more current, but am still unsure.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1150781 - 03/24/09 10:34 PM Re: Flood Policies - 1 policy for multiple buildings? Sheldon Hendrix
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
I think they both are. The separate schedule policy (which is rare) lets a borrower put several properties on one policy using schedules which list each property separately. It's like you have multiple policies bundled into one master policy vs. having multiple policies being written on each individual property.

Return to Top
#1150825 - 03/25/09 01:42 AM Re: Flood Policies - 1 policy for multiple buildings? Cowboys Fan
Sheldon Hendrix Online
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
Thanks, CF! I was actually looking at a policy with multiple schedules.

I really wish the agencies would update their examination manuals to match the new guidelines better..

Return to Top
#1155790 - 04/01/09 07:06 PM Re: Flood Policies - 1 policy for multiple buildings? Sheldon Hendrix
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
*bump*

For a somewhat related question:

The NFIP Dwelling form says the policy does not cover "detached garages" unless it is taken as part of the building coverage up to 10%. Is this something you have to require the borrower to do to cover all buildings on the improved property (the dwelling form says it is optional as it takes away from the coverage of the dwelling)?

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1157168 - 04/03/09 02:21 PM Re: Flood Policies - 1 policy for multiple buildings? Tigg
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
If the detached garage does not meet the conditions of the policy, you need to require a separate policy.

Return to Top
#1157982 - 04/05/09 01:18 PM Re: Flood Policies - 1 policy for multiple buildings? David Dickinson
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Thanks, David!

My opinion only.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z