Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1358302 - 03/16/10 06:33 PM HPML
RUKiddingMe Offline
100 Club
RUKiddingMe
Do 'higher priced mortgage loans' include a loan where the borrower is not the collateral owner?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1358311 - 03/16/10 06:41 PM Re: HPML RUKiddingMe
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
.....consumer credit transaction secured by the consumer's principal dwelling....

If the borrower doesn't own it, it can't be the borrower's principal dwelling......assuming the apostrophe "s" denotes possession/ownership.

Return to Top
#1359449 - 03/17/10 09:08 PM Re: HPML swiggles
RUKiddingMe Offline
100 Club
RUKiddingMe
We see this fairly frequently:

Parents own the home that their son lives in; parents allow son to use the home (his primary dwelling) as collateral on a consumer purpose loan.

I believe this could still constitute an HPML transaction if the pricing thresholds are exceeded, correct?
Last edited by RUKiddingMe; 03/17/10 09:11 PM. Reason: I hadn't finished my thought yet!
Return to Top
#1359587 - 03/18/10 03:09 AM Re: HPML RUKiddingMe
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Most certainly.

Return to Top
#1359646 - 03/18/10 12:59 PM Re: HPML David Dickinson
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I disagree.

It may be the son's residence but the dwelling is the parents dwelling and under the definition of a consumer in 226.2 they (the parents) are not consumers for the purposes of the regulation if they are not borrowers, other than for the ROR should it be their primary dwelling.

If the parents are not consumers under the regulation and the loan is secured by their dwelling then the loan is not secured by a "consumer's" dwelling.

Return to Top
#1359732 - 03/18/10 02:01 PM Re: HPML Dan Persfull
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull
I disagree.

It may be the son's residence but the dwelling is the parents dwelling and under the definition of a consumer in 226.2 they (the parents) are not consumers for the purposes of the regulation if they are not borrowers, other than for the ROR should it be their primary dwelling.

If the parents are not consumers under the regulation and the loan is secured by their dwelling then the loan is not secured by a "consumer's" dwelling.

That was what I was trying to say...... smile

Return to Top
#1359733 - 03/18/10 02:02 PM Re: HPML Dan Persfull
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I also disagree. The son has no ownership interest in the home, therefore, although it's consumer purpose secured by the home in which he lives...he doesn't own it, so he (the consumer) is not securing it with his principal dwelling, because it's not his...he just lives there...like a renter.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z