Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1364105 - 03/25/10 06:32 PM Refi or Modification?
Wyogirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Wyogirl
Laramie, WY. USA
Lender terming out single pay note on primary residence located on 100 acres. The rate is rising. He doesn't want to replace the mortgage, (it's a run to the courthouse state) and just wants to do a Change in Terms. I told him he had to generate a TIL, reflecting the fee, the new APR and the payment schedule. Does this sound reasonable, or should he refinance the loan, (and maybe modify the mortgage instead)?

Thanks,

Deb

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1364131 - 03/25/10 06:44 PM Re: Refi or Modification? Wyogirl
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'd do a new note with the TIL disclosures likely utilizing same deed. We don't modify major change in terms.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1364352 - 03/25/10 09:05 PM Re: Refi or Modification? RR Joker
Wyogirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Wyogirl
Laramie, WY. USA
Thanks Joker, I.

(I can't help but say to you, "I live, I ride, I am". Sorry. :))

I agree with you and if I were the lender, (with the anility of a CO), I'd make it clean and neat with a new loan. However, neat and clean is not a lender objective and I do understand the lenders concern, not to mention, he is trying to save his borrower money. So, I guess my ultimate question is, assuming the TIL is accurate, is this legal?

Thanks again!

Return to Top
#1364645 - 03/26/10 02:54 PM Re: Refi or Modification? Wyogirl
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Whether you contract remains legal (enforceable under state law) is a matter for your attorney to determine. Regardless of the extent of modifications, Section 226.20(a) imposes a redisclosure requirement ONLY if you add a variable rate feature or cancel and replace the note. Changing from one fixed rate to another fixed rate is not a variable rate feature.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z