Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1654405 - 01/23/12 05:59 PM requiring co-borrowers reside at same address
Snow Offline
New Poster
I am told it is common practice for banks to require that co-borrowers reside at the same address in indirect lending deals (loans from auto dealerships). The intent is to avoid financing higher risk straw purchases where the co-borrower has no real interest in the deal. I'm concerned that requiring co-borrowers to reside at the same address could have fair lending implications. Has anyone else run into this?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1654415 - 01/23/12 05:58 PM Re: requiring co-borrowers reside at same address Snow
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I've never heard of that requirement but I could imagine it not a good thing if a parent wants or needs to help out their college-age kid who might be out on their own financing a car, for instance.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1654429 - 01/23/12 06:26 PM Re: requiring co-borrowers reside at same address Snow
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It most likely would have a disparate impact on non-married borrowers.

Return to Top
#1654661 - 01/23/12 09:19 PM Re: requiring co-borrowers reside at same address Snow
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You are also basically designating who the co-signer will be by limiting the applicant's choice because in that situation 95% of the time it will be a spouse or parent that they reside with.

I am told it is common practice for banks to require that co-borrowers reside at the same address in indirect lending deals (loans from auto dealerships).

In my 30 + years I have never heard of such a stipulation. I have seen where the co-signer must reside in the bank's market area and that is one of the allowable requirements referred to in Reg. B.

Return to Top
#1654677 - 01/23/12 09:59 PM Re: requiring co-borrowers reside at same address Snow
Snow Offline
New Poster
Thanks everyone. You confirmed what I was thinking.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z