Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1732972 - 08/20/12 08:56 PM Residential remodel/constr on Primary Res
itsme Offline
100 Club
itsme
I am a credit analyst, but no not have anything to do with consumer residential real estate mortgages. Our bank has a separate department that handles all of the consumer real estate.

With that being said, one of our commercial customers (contractor) brought in one of his clients to get a construction note on his current personal primary residence. They have owned and lived in the house for over a year and are doing a major renovation. They currently have a mortgage on the property.

Our construction note will take out the current mortgage with additional funds for the remodel.

My question is this, is this construction loan subject to the new consumer real estate regulations and requirements?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1733045 - 08/21/12 12:05 PM Re: Residential remodel/constr on Primary Res itsme
KPOC Offline
Gold Star
KPOC
Greater Boston Area
It sounds like a consumer purpose loan to me, so yes. We have a strict policy that consumer loans are not to be handled by the commercial department. If the commercial customer brought in the client to the commercial LO, that LO should direct the applicant to the residential lending department. In my experience, commercial lenders do not understand the requirements of consumer regulations.

Return to Top
#1733053 - 08/21/12 12:15 PM Re: Residential remodel/constr on Primary Res itsme
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Regardless of the avenue by which it reached your bank, this is a 100% plain vanilla consumer loan.

Return to Top
#1733056 - 08/21/12 12:26 PM Re: Residential remodel/constr on Primary Res itsme
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Although there are currently no actual 'new' consumer RE regs/and requirements, this will be subject to consumer regulations, at a minimum Regulation Z.

Whether it's exempt from certain disclosures and/or reporting requirements, or not, will depend on whether it meets any temporary loan exemption or not.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1733154 - 08/21/12 02:58 PM Re: Residential remodel/constr on Primary Res itsme
itsme Offline
100 Club
itsme
Thanks everyone.

Return to Top
#1733273 - 08/21/12 04:29 PM Re: Residential remodel/constr on Primary Res itsme
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By: itsme
I am a credit analyst, but no not have anything to do with consumer residential real estate mortgages.
BTW--good catch!! By raising this question you may have saved your bank a big headache and possibly penalties.

It's always cheaper to do it right the first time!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z