Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1768895 - 12/19/12 05:24 PM ROR & TILA
Ginlyn, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Ginlyn, CRCM
Oklahoma
Scenerio: "Son" (grown) wants to borrow $35,000 to pay off credit card debt. "Mom" is pledging a second mortage on her home for collateral. LO wants to close on loan within the three day ROR. Does closing have to wait seven days for TIL?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1768901 - 12/19/12 05:36 PM Re: ROR & TILA Ginlyn, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
huh?
LO wants to close on loan within the three day ROR?
I don't understand that statement at all.

And yes, you have to observe the MDIA rules about closing.

Return to Top
#1768907 - 12/19/12 05:52 PM Re: ROR & TILA Truffle Royale
Ginlyn, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Ginlyn, CRCM
Oklahoma
Sorry. I wasn't clear on that. I found my answer in Reg Z. Thanks for the response.

Return to Top
#1769019 - 12/19/12 08:46 PM Re: ROR & TILA Ginlyn, CRCM
Indy Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: Ginlyn, CRCM
Sorry. I wasn't clear on that. I found my answer in Reg Z. Thanks for the response.

I've read multiple threads on this issue in the past (most of which resulted in me getting a huge headache!), and while there are very compelling arguments accompanied by pertinent regulatory citations, I get the feeling there is not industry-wide consensus on the applicability of early TIL (3-day after application/7 day prior to closing) required disclosure to non-borrowers with rescission rights in a mortgage transaction.

Return to Top
#1769028 - 12/19/12 08:54 PM Re: ROR & TILA Ginlyn, CRCM
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"Mom" is pledging a second mortage on her home for collateral. LO wants to close on loan within the three day ROR."

There is somethng wrong with a bank that would allow a debt consolidation loan be secured by someone's mother's house. They have no sense of reputational risk apparently. I see the headlines now. Bank kicks mom into the street after deadbeat son scams mother.

Return to Top
#1769044 - 12/19/12 09:23 PM Re: ROR & TILA Indy Banker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: bike4life

I've read multiple threads on this issue in the past (most of which resulted in me getting a huge headache!), and while there are very compelling arguments accompanied by pertinent regulatory citations, I get the feeling there is not industry-wide consensus on the applicability of early TIL (3-day after application/7 day prior to closing) required disclosure to non-borrowers with rescission rights in a mortgage transaction.

However, the loan would be subject to an intial 7 day wait, regardless and separate from the rescission period...so to the original poster, my opinion would be 'yes'. They have to wait 7, then another 3.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1769046 - 12/19/12 09:28 PM Re: ROR & TILA rlcarey
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
"Mom" is pledging a second mortage on her home for collateral. LO wants to close on loan within the three day ROR."

There is somethng wrong with a bank that would allow a debt consolidation loan be secured by someone's mother's house. They have no sense of reputational risk apparently. I see the headlines now. Bank kicks mom into the street after deadbeat son scams mother.

Ha ha, Randy....well, I think a more accurate discription would be:

Mother = Idiot

I co-signed with my daughter on a car loan one time. I have given various people hammers with which to hit me in the head should I ever decide to do that again. Nothing real bad came of it and I never had to fork over a payment (actually...didn't have one to fork over!!) but I DID take some late payment hickys on my credit and I had four years of constant monthly worrying about that dern payment!!

Return to Top
#1769057 - 12/19/12 09:44 PM Re: ROR & TILA RR Joker
Indy Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
Originally Posted By: bike4life

However, the loan would be subject to an intial 7 day wait, regardless and separate from the rescission period...so to the original poster, my opinion would be 'yes'. They have to wait 7, then another 3.

Correct - sorry, I somehow deviated into the discussion as to the non-borrower's rights to receive copies of said disclosures not the applicability of MDIA to the transaction.

Return to Top
#1769148 - 12/20/12 01:59 PM Re: ROR & TILA Ginlyn, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I thought so! laugh

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z