Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2170364 - 03/27/18 05:17 PM Take loan pmt shortage from escrow?
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
If the monthly mortgage loan payment was short $.39 can you take that shortage from their escrow account to make that monthly payment complete? TIA

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2170398 - 03/27/18 06:18 PM Re: Take loan pmt shortage from escrow? HRH Okie Banker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You can net an escrow balance from the loan payoff, but you can't take money out of the escrow account to make payments.

Return to Top
#2170407 - 03/27/18 06:22 PM Re: Take loan pmt shortage from escrow? HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Thank you

Return to Top
#2170536 - 03/28/18 01:29 PM Re: Take loan pmt shortage from escrow? HRH Okie Banker
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Randy's right. Here's the regulatory proof:

Creditors may “net” escrow balances against loan payoffs.
Commentary to §1024.34(b)(1):

AND
http://www.respanews.com/Media/MediaManager/HUD_FAQs_General.pdf (#39)

Question: If the borrower's escrow account includes a surplus greater than $50 which HUD's rules require be refunded, may the servicer credit the surplus directly to the principal, rather than refund the surplus to the borrower?

Answer: No. However, the servicer may inform the borrower in the information accompanying the return of the surplus that the borrower may elect to use the refund to reduce principal or have it credited against the next year's escrow payments.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z