Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2230501 - 02/07/20 05:33 PM Loan to SMLLC without an EIN, using member's TIN
CML LHS Offline
New Poster
CML LHS
WA
We have an SMLLC that holds real estate, but is a disregarded entity under a Living Trust (complex trust), and does not have an EIN. Can I still make the loan to the SMLLC but using the trust's EIN? Or is this similar to a sole proprietorship where the borrower should be the proprietor (in this case the trust), and the grantor/collateral owner is the SMLLC?
Thank you in advance for your advice!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2230531 - 02/07/20 06:27 PM Re: Loan to SMLLC without an EIN, using member's TIN CML LHS
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would be treated like any other SMLLC. If the trust is treating it as a disregarded entity, you would use the trust's EIN for the loan to the LLC.

Return to Top
#2230542 - 02/07/20 07:15 PM Re: Loan to SMLLC without an EIN, using member's TIN CML LHS
CML LHS Offline
New Poster
CML LHS
WA
So to confirm, the borrower is the SMLLC using the EIN of the trust. The W9 they sign reflects the SMLLC and the Trust EIN. Then opening the checking account I can use that EIN for the SMLLC also. What if I already have a checking account for the Trust? Same EIN and two different names/customers?

Return to Top
#2230557 - 02/07/20 08:38 PM Re: Loan to SMLLC without an EIN, using member's TIN CML LHS
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No different than me, who has Carey Consulting LLC which is a disregarded entity. My LLC has no EIN and it uses my SSN.

Return to Top
#2230562 - 02/07/20 08:49 PM Re: Loan to SMLLC without an EIN, using member's TIN rlcarey
CML LHS Offline
New Poster
CML LHS
WA
Perfect! Thank you so much!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z