Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2246966 - 12/28/20 08:03 PM Adding Fee to Construction Loan Post-Closing
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
Hi, we do a one-time close for construction to permanent financing. Upon conclusion of the construction phase, borrowers can request to convert their variable rate loan to a fixed rate. My question is if we are able to add on a fee post-closing for the borrower to convert to a fixed rate?

I believe since this is a fee we should have known about prior to loan closing, it should have been disclosed at that point. I do not believe we can add a new fee post-closing to allow the loan to convert to a fixed rate.

Thoughts, please? Thank you.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2246972 - 12/28/20 09:18 PM Re: Adding Fee to Construction Loan Post-Closing ComplyCycle
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
How are you going to charge a fee that you do not know will ever be assessed? Is this conversion option outlined in the legal agreement somewhere?

Return to Top
#2246979 - 12/29/20 01:35 PM Re: Adding Fee to Construction Loan Post-Closing ComplyCycle
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
That is a good point about not knowing if the fee would be assessed - thank you.

The conversion option is outlined in the legal agreement. With respect to a fee, it simply states that "Borrower must pay any additional investor delivery fees".

However, the proposal isn't to add an investor fee but rather a bank fee. Do you think this is allowed post-closing?

Return to Top
#2246984 - 12/29/20 03:07 PM Re: Adding Fee to Construction Loan Post-Closing ComplyCycle
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What you negotiate with the customer is a matter of State law. You just have to make sure that you abide by whatever is in your legal agreements, which is a question for your attorney.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z