Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2248225 - 01/27/21 03:11 PM Non-HMDA Bank's GMI/Demographic Information
NoJustNo Offline
100 Club
Midwest
Help confirm my thinking - a non-HMDA bank can collect either "old" GMI or decide to collect the "new" demographic information, correct?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2248237 - 01/27/21 03:42 PM Re: Non-HMDA Bank's GMI/Demographic Information NoJustNo
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Yes. For a further explanation/reference, here is an excerpt from a post I made a few weeks ago:

The preamble to the final rule says there was only one public comment about comment 7, and they don't explain it from the angle you are looking at it. The preamble talks multiple times about giving non-HMDA banks an "option" and even talks about how it wouldn't be fair to require DI for non-HMDA banks, and that is why "the Bureau is therefore not requiring the collection of disaggregated categories for Regulation B-only creditors." To me, this implies that it is optional, which is supported several times in the preamble. For example: "while entities that do not report under Regulation C but record and retain race and ethnicity data under Regulation B will have the option of recording data either using the existing aggregated categories or the new disaggregated categories."

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z