Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2260233 - 09/24/21 07:21 PM No Closing Cost Purchase Money HELOC
terpsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
If we have a no closing cost HELOC and we allow it to be used for a purchase money would the costs required for the transfer be considered closing costs even though they would be paid on a cash transaction. We advertise no closing costs but it is not our intent to pay warranty deed prep and transfer taxes.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2260240 - 09/24/21 08:07 PM Re: No Closing Cost Purchase Money HELOC terpsfan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, the warranty deed does not concern me, but transfer taxes are definitely closing costs.

4. Misleading terms prohibited. Under §1026.16(d)(5), advertisements may not refer to home-equity plans as free money or use other misleading terms. For example, an advertisement could not state “no closing costs” or “we waive closing costs” if consumers may be required to pay any closing costs, such as recordation fees. In the case of property insurance, however, a creditor may state, for example, “no closing costs” even if property insurance may be required, as long as the creditor also provides a statement that such insurance may be required. ( See the commentary to this section regarding fees to open a plan.)

Return to Top
#2260241 - 09/24/21 08:09 PM Re: No Closing Cost Purchase Money HELOC terpsfan
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If you advertise no closing costs then I'm not sure how you would exempt the transfer taxes from being part of the closing costs.

4. Misleading terms prohibited. Under §1026.16(d)(5), advertisements may not refer to home-equity plans as free money or use other misleading terms. For example, an advertisement could not state “no closing costs” or “we waive closing costs” if consumers may be required to pay any closing costs, such as recordation fees. In the case of property insurance, however, a creditor may state, for example, “no closing costs” even if property insurance may be required, as long as the creditor also provides a statement that such insurance may be required. ( See the commentary to this section regarding fees to open a plan.)

Return to Top
#2260254 - 09/24/21 08:51 PM Re: No Closing Cost Purchase Money HELOC terpsfan
terpsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
We would pay the taxes on the DOT recording but the transfer taxes I was referring to would be the taxes on the warranty deed recording. These would need to be paid in a cash transaction. Would you still consider these closing costs?

Return to Top
#2260257 - 09/24/21 09:01 PM Re: No Closing Cost Purchase Money HELOC terpsfan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would not consider those loan closing costs - but making a HELOC for a purchase transaction is also highly unusual unless there is a substantial down payment also required.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z