Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2011756 - 05/01/15 10:59 PM Residential Policy - Comm Bldg
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
We did a loan a few years ago on a residential structure in a flood zone, and a residential policy was obtained. The borrowers are now doing another loan secured by the same property, and it turns out that they have converted the house into a daycare. We still have a residential flood policy in place. Do we have to require that they obtain a commercial flood policy before we can close the loan? Thanks!!

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2014626 - 05/18/15 03:08 PM Re: Residential Policy - Comm Bldg TMatt87
Phill2000 Offline
This seems like an insurance rating question to me. If it were a new loan I'd want to see the policy updated to accurately reflect the type of building prior to settlement. (The bank has leverage at that point.) But for an existing loan, as long as the amount of insurance is adequate I don't see much recourse for the bank. To the best of my knowledge there's no guidance that requires the bank to make sure that the right type of policy is in place, only that there is adequate flood insurance (amount, flood zone, etc.). There are two issues that could be problematic though:

If there is a flood, FEMA would come in and realize that the policy underwriting was not correct for the building use. My understanding is that the policy would be rerated at that time and the customer would need to pay any additional premiums (in arrears) prior to FEMA processing the claim. So you may want to send the customer a friendly reminder to talk to their insurance agent about getting the policy corrected since the building use has changed.

The other issue is if the current policy is capped at the $250,000 residential max. I suggest you run another flood calculation using the non-residential limits and if the loan amount and/or insurance value are more than $250,000 an increase will be required. That will trigger the customer to move the policy to the General Property form to obtain the increased coverage and avoid force placement.

Return to Top
#2014651 - 05/18/15 03:58 PM Re: Residential Policy - Comm Bldg TMatt87
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
When you say converted - how so? Is it no longer a 1-4 family residential structure - is it zoned commercial only - has the structure been altered in such a way that it can no longer serve as a residence? Using a building temporarily for commercial purposes does not necessarily make it a commercial building.

Are you under insured if the building qualifies for $500,000 in coverage?

Return to Top