Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2016072 - 05/26/15 08:31 PM Charging fp ins to the principal balance
Katie Offline
New Poster
Is it a UDAAP issue if we do not reamortize the loan after the force placed premium is added to the loan balance? Can someone direct me to the supporting documentation if so, so that I can take that information to my CO.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2016093 - 05/26/15 09:24 PM Re: Charging fp ins to the principal balance Katie
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Supporting documentation is going to be a little hard to come by. However, a mid-west bank that I worked for settled out of court on a class action lawsuit on force placed insurance on vehicles for doing the same thing in the 90's.

Take this scenario. Joe gets a $75,000 7.5% mortgage loan and lets his insurance lapse after the first year. The bank starts force placing insurance without re-amortizing the loan and the premiums run $1,200 a year. Fifteen years go by and the 15 year mortgage matures. Joe thinks his mortgage is paid off as he did not really realize what those letters you sent him actually meant and finds out he still owes the bank $30,000.

Try standing in front of a judge and explaining that what you did was not unfair and deceptive.

If the dollar amounts and terms are different, say for example this was a 30 year mortgage instead of a 15 year mortgage - Joe would owe the bank $85,000 ($10,000 more than he borrowed) at the end of fifteen years of making his normal mortgage payments.

Return to Top
#2019344 - 06/09/15 07:48 PM Re: Charging fp ins to the principal balance Katie
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Is adding the force placed premium to the loan balance and reamortizing the only option the institution has?

Return to Top
#2020270 - 06/13/15 01:29 AM Re: Charging fp ins to the principal balance Katie
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Your options are limited to your loan agreement and State law.

Return to Top
#2020274 - 06/13/15 11:04 AM Re: Charging fp ins to the principal balance bcompliance
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By bcompliance
Is adding the force placed premium to the loan balance and reamortizing the only option the institution has?

You can bill them separately for the insurance, which means collecting separately. Everything has a downside.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2020281 - 06/13/15 12:36 PM Re: Charging fp ins to the principal balance Katie
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Thanks for the responses.

Return to Top