Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2029044 - 07/22/15 08:50 PM Portfolio Wide Blanket Coverage
Lilly2pet Offline
100 Club
Land of Pine Trees and Lobster...
October 2011 FAQ #63 & 64.

#63 Addresses whether or not a private policy may be used in lieu of a NFIP policy as long as the policy meets certain criteria (paraphrased).

#64 Addresses private policies that do not meet the criteria. Additionally #64 mentions "private policies providing portfolio-wide blanket coverage" and that it could be relied on for gap coverage for the period of time before a forced policy takes effect.

So here is my question: Does that fact that #64 addressed blanket wide portfolio coverage in the context of a policy that does not meet the criteria mean that a portfolio wide blanket coverage policy that does meet the criteria can be relied on in place of a forced place individual policy?

As you may have surmised by my question, Sr Management is wondering if we could purchase a portfolio-wide blanket coverage policy to be used in place of forced place coverage. My instincts are No but I'm not sure I can find chapter/verse that clearly supports my instinct.

Comments/thoughts/interpretations are all welcomed.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2029048 - 07/22/15 09:12 PM Re: Portfolio Wide Blanket Coverage Lilly2pet
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Your instincts are correct. They are referring to the bank purchasing blanket wide portfolio coverage to cover gaps in coverage, i.e., you don't force place a private policy until your 45 day letter expires and if the customer had a NFIP policy that expired, then you would have a 15 day gap in coverage between the time the mortgagee protection expired on the NFIP policy and when you force placed the policy.

Since you ultimately have to force place a policy on behalf of the borrower, thus the borrower has to be a named insured on the policy, I have never seen a blanket policy able to do that.

Return to Top
#2029219 - 07/23/15 03:56 PM Re: Portfolio Wide Blanket Coverage Lilly2pet
Lilly2pet Offline
100 Club
Land of Pine Trees and Lobster...
Thank you rlcarey; very helpful.

Return to Top