Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2043435 - 10/08/15 07:58 PM Reducing coverage at customer's request
Compliance504 Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennessee
After several years, a customer requests that their flood insurance be lowered to their loan's current balance...this is ok as long as we would do this for anyone requesting this.....is that correct??

This is not something that we inform customers that they can do.....I want to make sure we aren't doing something that could be considered unfair....

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2043464 - 10/08/15 08:44 PM Re: Reducing coverage at customer's request Compliance504
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
I assume your bank's policy is to insure at the RCV of the structure. If you make an exception for this customer and lower the required amount of coverage, I would make sure to document the exception to your policy and why the decision was made and keep that in the file. There are fair banking concerns with this, so think of long term effect....what if news of this exception spreads to loan officers or more requests start coming in to lower coverage? How will you track exceptions to ensure there is no disparate treatment?

Return to Top
#2043503 - 10/08/15 10:21 PM Re: Reducing coverage at customer's request Compliance504
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Yes there are fair lending concerns (as Jade's pointed out) You need to balance this with customer service. Your customer requested it. How do you tell them "no". The regulatory requirement is "lesser of". If the loan balance is paid down and they want less AND you're willing to do it from a Safety and Soundness view, I'd allow it. It's perfectly legal & allowed by regulation. It's a management decision.

Return to Top
#2043542 - 10/09/15 01:32 PM Re: Reducing coverage at customer's request Compliance504
Compliance504 Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennessee
Thank you.....we do not have a policy of insuring to the RCV.....

Return to Top