Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2122387 - 03/17/17 12:58 PM Building in a Flood Zone
JC Offline
100 Club
Oklahoma
How do people handle insurer's who will not provide a policy until the slab is poured? Secondly, how do you calculate the escrow for closing under those circumstances? Is anyone running into these issues?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2122411 - 03/17/17 02:13 PM Re: Building in a Flood Zone JC
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
How do people handle insurer's who will not provide a policy until the slab is poured?

Tell them you won't make them a loan and they need to find a new insurance agent.

Return to Top
#2122427 - 03/17/17 03:26 PM Re: Building in a Flood Zone JC
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Is it possible that the final elevation certificate can't be produced until this happens? I don't see a horrible issue with it, [so long as structural materials aren't stored on site] but tracking could be aggravating if you have lots of these.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2122448 - 03/17/17 04:21 PM Re: Building in a Flood Zone JC
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That is what a provisionally rated policy is all about. You don't need an elevation certificate.

Return to Top
#2122449 - 03/17/17 04:21 PM Re: Building in a Flood Zone JC
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I built a house in a flood zone. First, Randy's right - find a new agent. Tell them to read the Flood Insurance Agent's manual. It's crystal clear that it can be sold based on estimated elevation and estimated value.

Joker: If you delay the purchase of the insurance until the slab is poured, you right about having to track it (more work and risk), PLUS getting the borrower to cooperate after loan closing is not always easy, PLUS there may be a 30 day delay in getting the insurance (spending on when it is applied for).

THUS, just get it before loan closing and avoid of all of this hassle. Again, if the agent would simply read their manual, they'll see it can be done and it's not that hard.

Return to Top
#2122469 - 03/17/17 05:00 PM Re: Building in a Flood Zone JC
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I don't disagree with y'all at all...but I have seen an instance or two where the customer was in the midst of getting a LOMA-F and had every reason to believe it would go through. But then, I suppose it could be a structure being built on piers near water, and still might have a slab for use during non-flood times....we have those around here too.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top