Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1978404 - 11/21/14 11:11 PM Flood Violation for Blanket UCC Filing
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
I was just advised from another FDIC regulated bank that they are being cited for taking blanket UCC filings on commercial real estate loans and not requiring flood insurance on the contents. Has this been a problem for other banks?

The examiners are saying that the language in the security agreement is too broad and that the bank must release the UCC filing; amend it to delete contents; or obtain flood insurance on the contents.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#1978407 - 11/21/14 11:17 PM Re: Flood Violation for Blanket UCC Filing TryingtoComply
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Such blanket liens cover contents. If you have the building and contents, it triggers content coverage requirements.

Problem - you betcha. A new problem - not hardly - banks have been cited for this for a long time.

Return to Top
#1978408 - 11/21/14 11:29 PM Re: Flood Violation for Blanket UCC Filing TryingtoComply
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Agreed. The examiners are right. The bank should have realized that a blanket UCC covers contents. Basic UCC issue.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1978409 - 11/21/14 11:32 PM Re: Flood Violation for Blanket UCC Filing TryingtoComply

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Let me add that the UCC language is not too broad. That is standard language; the bank just failed to connect the dots.

Return to Top
#1978410 - 11/21/14 11:38 PM Re: Flood Violation for Blanket UCC Filing TryingtoComply
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
I remember years ago when I was a loan processor for a small bank we took blanket filings too. I just finished a conversation with our Note Manager and evidently we don't do it here, so I'm relieved.

Return to Top
#1978412 - 11/21/14 11:39 PM Re: Flood Violation for Blanket UCC Filing TryingtoComply

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Lucky! It is pretty common.

Return to Top