Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2229845 - 01/29/20 04:08 PM Detached Garage-Leased Apartment
Compliance504 Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennessee
Sorry that I don't have time to search the threads to see if this has been answered somewhere.....

We have a situation where the detached garage has an apartment that will be leased......

I see that the Dwelling Form does not cover detached garages used as residences.....would this be insured under a dwelling form as non-principal residence using replacement cost value.....

OR would this be insured under the General Property Form using actual cost value....

The detached garage is on the property with the owner's principal residence...both house and garage are in the flood zone...

Thanks for any input....

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2229846 - 01/29/20 04:11 PM Re: Detached Garage-Leased Apartment Compliance504
Compliance504 Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennessee
I meant to say would this be insured under its own Dwelling Form as a non-principal residence using actual cost value....

Or would it be part of the principal residence and insured under its own Dwelling Form at replacement cost value...

Or on the General Property Form

Return to Top
#2229847 - 01/29/20 04:13 PM Re: Detached Garage-Leased Apartment Compliance504
Compliance504 Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennessee
Trying to determine if we need it appraised for actual or replacement cost value....

Return to Top
#2231850 - 02/27/20 03:52 AM Re: Detached Garage-Leased Apartment Compliance504
jlroberts Offline
Diamond Poster
jlroberts
Ohio
We have a similar situation. House has two units and the detached garage has an apartment. The agent wrote the policy as a policy with three rental units. Is that allowed? I thought that we would need two policies, one for each "dwelling". Any opinions or guidance would be appreciated.

Return to Top
#2231852 - 02/27/20 11:47 AM Re: Detached Garage-Leased Apartment Compliance504
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The description of the types of building covered under the various forms is found here:

https://www.fema.gov/national-flood-insurance-program/standard-flood-insurance-policy-forms

jroberts - two separate buildings require two policies.

Return to Top