Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2268811 - 04/07/22 07:14 PM SAFE Act and Mergers
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
We acquired a bank about a year ago. I just checked and their Institution account is still open. What would have been the appropriate time to make the institution ID inactive? Within 30 days of close of the financial deal or systems conversions? What about MLOs at the previous institution that have taken non-MLO jobs at our institution? Are they required to surrender their MLO status or can they maintain it but just not act as a MLO? If they maintain, are we required to train them and list them as MLOs, even if they are say, commercial lenders who want to keep their MLO status?

Return to Top
S.A.F.E. Act Forum
#2268817 - 04/07/22 08:27 PM Re: SAFE Act and Mergers Tesla
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

Return to Top
#2268820 - 04/07/22 08:48 PM Re: SAFE Act and Mergers Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Yep - Compliance is always late to these discussions. However, I am still not clear if we do not convert systems at the same time as we close the deal, when do we do all of this? In other words, the institution we acquired continued to do business as usual until this year because we could not convert systems until now. Also, I checked their MLOs and those that have come over in MLO positions have updated their "represents" section, but what about those that were MLOs at the old institution and are not now? Is it enough to just have their "represents" section say "None" and they maintain their MLO #? Are we obligated to make sure they are trained? I would assume we don't put them on our list of MLOs because they are not acting as a MLO. Thanks for your guidance, as always.

Return to Top
#2268822 - 04/07/22 09:00 PM Re: SAFE Act and Mergers Tesla
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You need to be talking to your general counsel as the status of the companies after and before merger, when that actually occurred, etc. Were they actually still separate banks under a holding company for a while, etc..

Return to Top
#2268823 - 04/07/22 09:06 PM Re: SAFE Act and Mergers Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Ok thanks. Why can't anything ever be simple. frown

Return to Top
#2268827 - 04/07/22 10:05 PM Re: SAFE Act and Mergers Tesla
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would be looking at your merger and acquisition advisors for an answer as to how this slipped through the cracks. It is not like this is a minor issue for on-going business functions.

Return to Top
#2268828 - 04/07/22 10:07 PM Re: SAFE Act and Mergers Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Yeah - but what about the MLO moving to a non-MLO position? Do I have to worry about that at all? I am not seeing anything in Reg G on other than if they were to take a MLO position.

Return to Top
#2268832 - 04/08/22 11:45 AM Re: SAFE Act and Mergers Tesla
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, they should have still been transferred and then at the time of annual renewal, you would have let their registration lapse like normal.

Return to Top
#2268838 - 04/08/22 12:51 PM Re: SAFE Act and Mergers Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
OK - thanks.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett