Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply
Post Icon
Smilies Insert Link Insert Email Link Insert Image Link Insert Media Tag List Bold Italic Underline Strike-through Spoiler Quote Font Color Fonts Font Size
Make textarea smaller
Make textarea bigger
Post Options

HTML is disabled.
UBBCode is enabled.
Poll Manager (Total Polls: 0)

In Response To:
Thread Starter: MadisonCali
Title: Re: Woodforest Bank

Speaking as someone who managed branches inside grocery stores for many years, if this is something that you are going to try to do, be ready to deal with the long hours. Walmart branches, I'm sure, will be run very similarly to the ones I've had experience with.

They probably will be open 7 days a week, and won't have a huge staff. Therefore, you will probably be trained (and empowered) to do lots of different things in lots of different lines of business. You also can't expect to get things like every other weekend off (every has to work around vacations, etc). You work when needed. You will also probably will be expected to cross sell, and will have fairly high sales goals you will be expected to meet. There will probably be an incentive program based on your sales results (as a result of that, sometimes the base pay is lower, because they want you to work your butt off to get incentive).

I'm not assuming that this is the case with Woodforest (they don't have any locations where I am), but I've worked in that line of business for a long time, and seen many bank chains try the grocery/convenience store route with mixed results.

The variables that I listed above are pretty constant, and the banks that succeed do those things well and hire people with the understanding that this is what it is.

On the other hand, if they have other branches (brick and mortars), the convenience locations are a good 'foot in the door'. It exposes you do lots of different facets of the job, and would prepare you to handle just about anything in a brick and mortar setting.

Plus, once you work a 7 day week open till close cashing checks, closing loans, dealing with service issues, and opening accounts, you'll never complain about your 9-5 job again...