Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply
Post Icon
Smilies Insert Link Insert Email Link Insert Image Link Insert Media Tag List Bold Italic Underline Strike-through Spoiler Quote Font Color Fonts Font Size
Make textarea smaller
Make textarea bigger
Post Options

HTML is disabled.
UBBCode is enabled.
Poll Manager (Total Polls: 0)

In Response To:
Thread Starter: Anonymous
Title: Re: Charge off checking; reopen?

I am trying to get a feel of what other banks do.

Andrew Smith had a checking account at our bank, which we closed, because he was negative for over 30 days. This account was "charged off" and the amount owed, $200.00, was sent to our credit department. Prior to closing Andrew's account, we sent him seveal notifications. The account was closed 2 months ago.

Andrew came in to the branch today to deposit a check into his account. He claims he had no idea the account was negative, nor that it was overdrawn. Having dealt with the customer in the past, I find this hard to believe.

A decision was made that if Andrew paid the $200.00 he owed us, we would open him a new account.

Do other banks do this? In my mind, once you have shown neglect, you shouldn't get a "second chance." We had the potential to lose $200.00, why would we put ourselves in the same situation? Naturally there are exceptions to every rule: Andrew's excuse was "he didn't know."

Any thoughts?