Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply
Post Icon
Smilies Insert Link Insert Email Link Insert Image Link Insert Media Tag List Bold Italic Underline Strike-through Spoiler Quote Font Color Fonts Font Size
Make textarea smaller
Make textarea bigger
Post Options

HTML is disabled.
UBBCode is enabled.
Poll Manager (Total Polls: 0)

In Response To:
Thread Starter: ColoradoAML
Title: Re: Tellers buying coins

This seems like walking a fine-line to me. A lot of the posters who have approved the practice seem to have qualifiers like "as long as they try to convince the customer not to give them the valuable currency first." That hardly seems enforceable or verifiable, and some of these examples are pretty stark. If I learned that my relative with dementia brought in their $100,000 coin collection, exchanged it at face-value for $1,000, then the tellers bought up the coins and traded them across the street, the promise that "we told him it was a bad idea" wouldn't convince me that they had acted in good faith, nor would it convince me that I shouldn't hire a lawyer. The amounts listed in this thread obviously might not warrant a law suit, but it hardly feels like something that should be greenlit with no thought.

In my view this is ethically questionable at best, and I certainly understand why a bank would have a policy prohibiting it.