Clean desk policy

Posted By: ksurban

Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 03:01 PM

Does anyone have an effective way of encouraging a clean desk policy to protect confidential customer information? We've tried several things but always have problems with our loan officers.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 03:07 PM

This past month, when I did the training for the USA Patriot Act and BSA refresher, I included a little about information security. I included in the written handouts a reminder to clear desks and gave our after hours janitorial service as an example of how information could get out. Short of policing the desks at the end of each day, I don't know what else to do.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 03:09 PM

Punishment! Get support from the top, and establish a privacy police task force and have little sticky pads that get your point across when someone has violated the rules. Have some concrete repurcussions for anyone that receives "x" amount of tags on their desk. It is too important of a situation not to get tough. (and I am not suggesting treating anyone like a child, but on the other hand, you should not be forced to be in a babysitting situation either)

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 03:11 PM

Just to add one thing, we have a committee of 5 of us who meet once in a while to discuss the exact same kind of things. One of the more vigilant members of the committee slips however, once in a while. He is not in customer contact, but he has been known to leave his desk and not lock down his computer. I tape a big note on his screen whenever he does this and I just hand write "BUSTED" on it. It tears him apart when I catch him.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 03:11 PM

An effective way to manage this is for the President to inform the staff via a written memo and include it in the Employeee Handbook that any employee that leaves confidential customer information unsecured is subject to immediate termination. That would be the most effective means of policing this situation. Bank management just needs to take a firm stand and be done with it. Make it part of your culture and it becomes second hand.
Posted By: Cowboys Fan

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 03:54 PM

Just for fun, if you have one that continually disregards this policy, go in to the office one night (or morning) and take every, single paper that should have been locked up. Then just sit back and watch someone panic
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 07:06 PM

I have emphasized this point repeatedly to my staff, and they are very good about locking documents up at night. Whenever one of them slips up, I simply take the material, lock it in the vault, and present them with the material the first thing next morning. They get the message, and are very conscientious from then on. Also, I set the example by always clearing my desk completely every day.

I don't see a need for harsh words, confrontations, or overly punitive threats. Lead by example, lead by explaining the reasoning, lead by expecting compliance.

And by the way, my department probably knows that the two most blatant flouters of the clean desk rule are two of the most senior officers of the bank. And yet they know better than to use such a flimsy excuse with me.
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 07:39 PM

Steve, so do you lock of the papers of the "two most senior officials of the bank" also? I have a similar situation and I am really concerned that it would strain future relations.
Posted By: HRH Dawnie

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 08:10 PM

I'm afraid I'd kill Steve But when the office is really a mess I lock it with a special key Even the cleaners avoid the place on weeks like this one.
Posted By: elcinoca

Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 08:48 PM

Well, this only works a once, maybe twice a year, but desks and offices get cleaned mighty well around here when there's a hurricane on the way!

Best of luck to my fellow East coast BOLers.

MarkB

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 10:05 PM

elcinoca... I know your BOL name stands for Elizabeth City in North Carolina and I really dig it but everytime I see it, it always reminds me of the allergy medicine "echenecia" (spelling of course is wrong)

Thanks for all your contributions...Your friendly neighborhood BOL User

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 10:20 PM

Quote:

Steve, so do you lock of the papers of the "two most senior officials of the bank" also? I have a similar situation and I am really concerned that it would strain future relations.

One is an EVP, the other is the CEO. So, I try not to go into those offices. In fact, I try to stay off that floor.

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 10:23 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid I'd kill Steve But when the office is really a mess I lock it with a special key Even the cleaners avoid the place on weeks like this one.

You wouldn't kill your own cousin, would you?

Please, kill me and put me out of my misery! I can't stand living at the office anymore.

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/17/03 11:59 PM

Lets have a family shoot out Steve. Aside from last weekend, I've been here every day..including Saturday and Sunday. grumble grumble grumble...danged examiners Oh umm I'm looking forward to their visit actually. Ya ya, that's the ticket
Posted By: Rangers Fan

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/18/03 02:01 PM

We did the training, e-mail warnings, etc. and had the president get involved when results didn't happen like we needed. Then for those areas where it is just too difficult to put everything away at night (large commercial loan files, etc.), those officers are given a choice to either lock these items up in a large cabinet just for this or they can just lock their offices (no, the cleaning crew does not have keys to these offices). That way, they have a choice on what is easier for them, but everyone still knows how important the whole safeguarding cust. info issue is. And yes, do go "roaming" around after hour occasionally, just to spot check and see how folks are doing. Don't forget, and not making excuses here, but this whole issue is sometimes hard for long time bankers to grasp and is well compared to working in a hospital and having to put up all your medical stuff up at night where no one can see it. It just takes training, and repetition and then dealing with it when those few just don't want to abide by your policies. Good luck.

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/18/03 02:03 PM

Another good practice would be top provide each officer their own shredder.
Posted By: reinkesd

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/18/03 02:23 PM

Didn't I read in another post that some banks use "privacy stickies" where they put them on docs that have been left out? It might be a subtle way to bring it to an employees attention. I kinda like Dave's "BUSTED". as it lends a touch of humor.

We have this argument ongoing. The usual rebuttal is that by the time they clean off their desk at night and then resort everything in the morning they've wasted a bunch of time. We've suggested alphabetical tickler files that can be used to sort and then easily tucked away at night.
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/18/03 03:10 PM

Yes, I use the stickies. It works very well in most places, however, some people are very sensitive and they just refuse to understand that it is the law. True enough that the harderst ones to retrain are the ones that have been in banking the longest. For the most part, the stickies work well and most see the humor. You can order through BOL -- here

Ranting Ahead But why do they think that it is our job to figure out a system for them to comply. Can't they find a drawer, a lock, something-----or are we paying them too much and thinking is not one of their requirements. You know they find fault with every solution we offer --- or do they think that this justifies non-compliance?

OK, Steve, I guess I need some kind comments now.

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/18/03 04:02 PM

If employees did everything they were supposed to do, the need for supervisors would be greatly diminished. Part of my responsibility as a leader is to provide whatever is needed for my staff to do their respective jobs, and then to make sure that they use it.

I am a huge believer in leading by example. Since both my "executive officer" and I are highly anal retentive in our work habits, setting the example in this area comes naturally.

OK, I have to hide now. Dawnie is loading her rifle!

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/18/03 11:01 PM

Heh heh, I know where to find you cousin! Actually I'm not sure...I can't see past this pile of stuff on my desk....

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/19/03 01:18 PM

my team said they like being about to find things faster now and have things in better order to start their day.

they see the priorities easier if they are sorted when put away at night. many like my clean desk rule. always some that don't but they do it because everyone else does.

Posted By: wavewatcher

Re: Clean desk policy - 09/20/03 05:44 AM

We have to keep re-enforcing our clean desk policy. I now say that how would you like it if at your bank, all your private info was available.

We will also be "trashing picking" quarterly to get the message across. But now, the Compliance Officer will keep the NPI stuff instead of the supervisor. Lets see if they can track down the CO - some days it's very difficult.
Posted By: KimC

Re: Clean desk policy - 10/03/03 06:14 PM

We have a records room where all loan files, CDs, IRAs, etc. are kept. This room is locked at day's end and not entered by our cleaning crew. The bank bought big rubbermaid type totes for each lender and processor to put all their files, etc. in at the end of the day. CSRs use a different size container with their names on them. These are all locked in the records room at night. This seems to be a good way to make sure their desks are cleaned off and also helps to have your current projects in one place.