David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award

Posted By: John Burnett

David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 03:12 PM

The ABA announced this morning: David Dickinson, president of Banker’s Compliance Consulting, received the 2016 ABA Distinguished Service Award which recognizes leadership, initiative and accomplishment in banking regulatory compliance management. The award, established in 1995, was presented at the American Bankers Association’s 30th annual Regulatory Compliance Conference in San Diego.

Our congratulations to David for this deserved recognition. He has long been a strong proponent of compliance education and support for bankers. In addition to all his other involvement in the industry, David has been a longtime member of the BankersOnline community, and has been recognized as a BOL Guru for many years.

All of us on the BankersOnline team are proud to count David as a friend and colleague!
Posted By: Doug Hendrickson

Re: David Dickinson ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 03:21 PM

Congratulations David! We're also all proud to have you as one of the 'go to' Gurus and have benefited from you experience and sharing.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 03:21 PM

Congratulations David!!!!
Posted By: mtngrrl

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 03:22 PM

Congratulations, David! Well deserved!
Posted By: Island Dreaming

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 03:29 PM

Congrats, Dave!! And thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences with all of us, too!
Posted By: Richard Insley

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 04:43 PM

Congratulations, David! Does the award include a 7-figure cash payment (like a Nobel prize)?
Posted By: ItNeverEnds CRCM

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 05:00 PM

Congratulations David. And thanks for all you do here and for the information you provide on your website.
Posted By: ahou

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 05:11 PM

Congratulations David!
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 05:14 PM

Congratulations David!
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 06:36 PM

Congrats, David! smile
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 07:19 PM

Congratulations David! It is a well-deserved honor!
Posted By: CULady

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 07:54 PM

Congratulations David! smile
Posted By: JSD

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 08:11 PM

Way to go David! Very deserving person for this honor. Truly appreciate all the guidance,knowledge and debates you have provided on BOL!
Posted By: Desdemona

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 08:16 PM

Congratulations David and thank you for your contributions!
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 08:45 PM

Hat's off to you, David!
Posted By: Iowa Compliance Gal

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 09:49 PM

Congrats David, very deserving of this recognition!!!! Your knowledge and guidance thru the maze of regulations has been much appreciated!
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 10:24 PM

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your knowledge on these pages. You are in elite company Sir!
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/13/16 10:49 PM

Well deserved indeed. Congrats my friend.

When asked about compliance, some bankers may pause and say, "Hmm-Da, I gotta think about that." But David's mind is immediately "flooded" with ideas. Some people watch GMA in the morning with their coffee. David grabs an iPad and reads about GMI instead.

I recall David telling me once he was with a banker who had questions, they walked across this big bridge "Loan," and he noticed a rivet that was lose. He asked the banker, "look at the joint, what's your intent here?" The banker said he would orally reply but it might be better to do it in writing and lay some paper across that problem so it wouldn't be an issue again. David's son, the state champion wrestler, was with them as they walked the bridge, "Loan" and they saw a big hole. He asked his son, "what do you see there?" His son said "it's a ho Pa" and David said "yes, and if we had to charge a big fee to throw a loan in that hole and fill it with documentation, we's call it Ho-E Pa." By this time everyone was getting tired of the walk, (much like you, reading this) and his son asked if they "could take a res-Pa?" "No," he exclaimed, they were only on that bridge temporarily. But when asked how he might define temporary, David said it isn't a defined term, and he sat on a swing and said he could give examples, but the list wouldn't be exhaustive.

By the end of the day everyone wanted to relax, they wanted it to be over, just like you and this post. But you know there is one more lame joke. And as David put his earbuds in before laying down, his wife asked him if he was listening to raggae, he said no, Reg E.

And that is David's life, compliance, morning, noon and nite. And that is why he is such an asset to our industry.

Thank you, Mr. Dickinson. (Everyone, do the wave as you read this, east coast to west.)
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/14/16 02:26 PM

For the record, Andy, BOL's resident groan-generator, was also a recipient of the ABA's Distinguished Service Award, several years ago.
Posted By: David Dickinson

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/14/16 08:38 PM

Quote:
Congratulations, David! Does the award include a 7-figure cash payment (like a Nobel prize)?

Ummmm . . . . they haven't told me about that. smile

Andy: All I can say is "boo".
Inside Story: Years ago, I was teaching Flood Insurance for the ABA School. Unfortunately, for me, I followed Andy. He set up the class to pull a joke on me. When I said a certain word, the class did the wave. It was hilarious!

Being recognized with this award was a very humbling experience for me. If you'd like to watch, here's a video of Mary Clothier with her introduction and my acceptance speech. I gave Andy a shout out too.

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/14/16 08:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJbvbgfLa68
Posted By: 1 Peter 5:7

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/16/16 12:51 PM

David, congratulations on this well deserved award! I regret I wasn't in San Diego to see you receive it. I wish you all the best!

Ken (ex-Nebraskan) in Texas

Re: David Dickinson: ABA Distinguished Service Award - 06/18/16 10:45 PM

Great to hear from you Ken - and thanks. I missed you this year!