Revoked Check Authorization

Posted By: SHORT STUFF

Revoked Check Authorization - 03/26/04 07:55 PM

We have a customer that ordered a website over the internet. He gave his account number and a check number. Later he couldn't get into his website that he paid for, so he called and cancelled it. In the meantime, the website company sent through two debit items (through the check system) to cover the "purchase". By the time he realized that these items had gone through his account, almost a month has past. Is there anything the bank can do to help him? He has since contacted the company, and they have given him the usual runaround, with no credit as promised forthcoming.
What time frames are we looking at? Or is it just the midnight next day and all is done as far as the bank is concerned?? Please help!
Thanks
Posted By: Just Jean

Re: Revoked Check Authorization - 03/26/04 09:11 PM

I sympathize with your plight in trying to help your customer. For some reason customers often feel taht we should be able to right any wrongs done to them through their accounts.

Are you willing to take on the loss(es) incurred by this customer? If it's unauthorized and you paid the check, it's yours.

I would not think that you are responsible for the customer leaping and then looking later.
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Revoked Check Authorization - 03/26/04 11:20 PM

It would appear that Wisconsin has updated Articles 3 and 4 of the UCC to provide that a demand draft carries warranties that it was authorized by the customer.

Assuming the bank that took the drafts for deposit in the first place is also in Wisconsin, you may be able to return the drafts based on the customer's affidavit that they were not authorized (they would not have been if he had withdrawn his authorization before they were deposited). Time frame, I'm not sure of, but it's a lot longer than "midnight deadline."
Posted By: SHORT STUFF

Re: Revoked Check Authorization - 03/29/04 10:54 PM

The bank is not in Wisconsin, but in Scottsdale AZ. Where would I look to see if he does have any recourse, if any? If it were an ACH we would do a WSUPP form and return it. I didn't know what we had for checks of this sort.