CRA and Census Tract Information

Posted By: Anonymous

CRA and Census Tract Information - 04/03/02 12:16 AM

I have been searching the web particularly the FFIEC web site looking for a way to locate the address or area in which the census tract is located. I am getting frustrated and have wasted quit a bit of my time and others looking.

Can someone assist me in this matter? And by the way Dean your sights you gave me where great but do not have the separations as I need, but thank you so much.

Thanks

Tina A Sweet-Williams
AVP/Compliance Officer
Gold Country Bank
Marysville, Ca. 95901
mailto:tsweet@goldcountrynb.com
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: CRA and Census Tract Information - 04/03/02 03:48 AM

Do you mean input the address and get CT info?

http://www.ffiec.gov/geocode/default.htm is great because you can click through several screens and get valuable data.

This is good, http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/BasicFactsServlet and I also like http://plue.sedac.ciesin.org/plue/ddviewer/.
Posted By: JMB

Re: CRA and Census Tract Information - 04/03/02 12:42 PM

Are you looking for a detail street map with census tracts? - there used to be a company (they only operated in California) that had a really nice one. Unfortunately, it never helped me here in Michigan. If that is what you are looking for, let me know, I might be able get you in contact with the person who told me about it in the first place.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: CRA and Census Tract Information - 04/03/02 04:59 PM

Yes, I would like to put in the census tract and get the addresses within that tract. I need it for 2 MSA's.

Tina A Sweet-Williams
AVP/Compliance Officer
Gold Country Bank,NA
Marysville, Ca. 95901

mailto:tsweet@goldcountrynb.com

Re: CRA and Census Tract Information - 04/03/02 05:12 PM

I used this in the past and I believe it will either provide what you want strainght out, or may if you can import data into Excel and sort to your hearts content. It lists the CTs based on the address. So if you sort by CT, you'll have all the address ranges applicable to it.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tractez.html
TIGER/Census Tract Street Index®
This product was developed specifically to match addresses to census tracts and is available as one DVD or eight CD-ROM (IBM-PC compatible). Both the CD-ROM and DVD product comes with software that allows one to look up individual addresses interactively and to determine the 1990 census tract number. Each CD-ROM costs $60.00, $480.00 for 8-disc set, and contains the data for several states. The product will be able to match most addresses with the exceptions of those with rural Post Office Box addresses and those on streets that have been constructed since early 1998. Also available as a paper listing by county. A detailed description of this product is provided.

The census bureau has many products available. A vendor likely has a better interface and customizations, but at a higher cost.
Posted By: Don_Narup

Re: CRA and Census Tract Information - 04/03/02 06:35 PM

Tina,
If you e-mail the address I will send what you want. Its not always possible to get an address hit using the FFIEC or other geocode engine. The census bureau uses the Tiger Line Files which are not updated often, and generally do not have any current information on new housing developments, or high growth areas. We do geocoding and mapping everyday and even using the 4 best geocoding engines available and the Tiger files don't always get an address hit. But, there are other ways of obtaining tract information

While we are a business, we are also all former bankers and do not mind helping out when someone just can't find what is needed. Its an offer, and there are no gimmicks, no charges, and no sales people will call.

So, if you have a situatioin like Tina's we make the offer.

Re: CRA and Census Tract Information - 04/03/02 10:22 PM

Don, you seem like a really good guy. I've seen you make offers of free services to us before. People helping people is a really good thing.

I believe a "thank you" is in order to all the vendors contributing here. I know there is always give and take, but for you guys it can be real bucks, not just time like we bankers are giving.
Posted By: Strout

Re: CRA and Census Tract Information - 04/04/02 02:02 PM

I know this is not the most efficient way to handle geocoding but when I was having difficulty locating addresses, I used Expedia or Rand Mcnally or a similar map website. I could usually find the address there and match it up w/ the map in the FFIEC website using nearby roads. I kept a copy of both maps with my HMDA worksheet in case it's an issue w/ the examiners. And I verified the zips w/ the USPS site to cover all the bases.

I know, I know. It's probably not the easist method but hey, when you don't have any other options you go w/ what works.

BTW, when my examiners were here in February I demonstrated my frustration w/ the FFIEC website. I pointed out that you cannot even do a Wildcard search for a road and I showed him an example where one letter was off (i.e. Smalls Road vs. Small Road) and the site did not code the address. Also, I had a lot of problems w/ the zip codes in the Atlanta/Stone Mountain area.

I know he couldn't do anything to help but it made me feel better.
Posted By: CarlD

Re: CRA and Census Tract Information - 04/19/02 06:11 PM

QuestSoft's Instant Geocoder handles this with a computer-generated score based on the numerical address and approximate spelling.

It highlights the best match, based on every street segment in each zip code. Then, it displays the matrix of street segments, allowing the user to choose a better match if one exists.

The few remaining locations, typically new construction in rural areas, are outsourced to QuestSoft. We run them through another system which uses longitude/latitude.

If you give me some sample addresses, I will geocode them to demonstrate the system.

Regards,
- CarlD QuestSoft 800-575-4632 carl@questsoft.com

= = =
I invoke the industry standard disclaimer. Everything I say is believed to be accurate, but don't expect to sue anyone if I have erred.