Correct Title for Entities

Posted By: CFreasier

Correct Title for Entities - 05/31/01 01:24 PM

I am needing some help with the correct way to style loans made to two individuals who are doing business as a company. It is my understanding that, in the state of Texas, they have to be a partnership. Our loan officer is requesting the loan be in the individuals' names. Should the loan be typed in their names d/b/a the company or should it be just in the company's name with them signing as partners?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: Correct Title for Entities - 05/31/01 03:20 PM

It has been a while since I dealt with these issues. But they should have a partnership agreement or a DBA certificate, or both. That should help with the styling.

Initially I would believe it is to the business with them as signors on the note, both in the capacity they hold in the company and individually.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Posted By: Mary Beth Guard

Re: Correct Title for Entities - 05/31/01 03:29 PM

Also, when two or more individuals do business and are not incorporated, are not a limited liability company, etc., they are considered a partnership for IRS purposes and would need to have a partnership tax ID#, so you could also take a look at the SS-4 application they submitted to see what name they are doing business under for IRS purposes.